Chapter 2

Ling Ke's eyes bulged. He had no idea how these words came to appear here.

He had practiced this Schubert piece a lot, so during the exam, he basically didn't need to look at the score, and having it with him was only as a form of reassurance. After the exam, he never looked at it again, but who would have thought that that would cause him to unwittingly overlook this detail.

Thinking back to his chance encounter with Qi Feng, Ling Ke felt his heart warm, but he then became somewhat anxious. He quickly turned on his computer and inputted the other's QQ number into the search bar.

What came back was a a handsome anime guy's headshot, and the account's nickname was simply one word, Maple.

Ling Ke added the other as his friend, and later that night, Qi Feng accepted his friend request.

He was thrilled, and just as he planned to click on the other's avatar to start a convo, he suddenly realized that the account's name was in red and had a penguin icon next to it.

...That was a sign that the user was a 'subscription member'.

In a flash, his parents' "earnest entreat" that year echoed in his mind. He didn't want to mind it, but he couldn't not. It was as if there was some invisible force pulling him and Qi Feng apart, erecting a wall between them.

Ling Ke hesitated to double click Maple's avatar, but then had his attention stolen away by the other's cool-looking QQ penguin.

Hat, sunglasses, fashionable clothes, a dazzling background...... Having all these accessories must have cost quite a few QQ Coins.

But that cost was nothing to Qi Feng because as a Red Diamond Member, he could try on all the clothes in the shop for free.

......

This abrupt feeling of a wage gap made Ling Ke feel twitchy. His hands paused on the keyboard for a while as he deliberated what to say to Qi Feng first.

"Hello, I'm Ling Ke."

"Do you still remember me?"

"I'm the person from last year who took the level-8 piano exam with you......"

Nothing he came up with felt right, and Ling Ke was afraid that Qi Feng had already forgotten him as a year had already passed. He really couldn't be sure what kind of impression the sweaty and smelly him had left Qi Feng during their one-time encounter.

If it wasn't for him organizing his sheet music today, he was about to forget Qi Feng existed.

Moreover, even if the other didn't forget him, what would they even chat about?

In all honestly, he wasn't a very proactive person when it came to social interactions. The kind of natural and easy-to-get-along-with personality that Qi Feng had, Ling Ke woudn't be able to imitate that even he tried for a lifetime. So for him to initiate this convo, it was almost as hard as ascending to the heavens.

And while Ling Ke was at a loss on what to do, Qi Feng didn't send any messages either. This worried him all the more...... Normally, when a stranger added you as a friend, no matter what, shouldn't you at least give a greeting and ask who they were? Not knowing anything when accepting a friend request, and then not caring or following up afterwards, wasn't this a bit too negligent?