Chapter Twenty-Three|| The Beast

{Rosemarie's POV}

Nikobe took a wary step backward as if she didn't know what to do. Her emotions were shifting uncontrollably and I knew it was solely for the fact that there were two other lycans around her and she didn't know how to act.

She's been around Mathias in Lycan form but not him in his beast form as well. I was trapped, unable to grasp the control I so desperately wanted.

I heard a growl rip through the intruder as she charged at us. Nikobe was too focused on the approaching Mathias to react and the intruder's claws ripped right through Nikobe's stomach. She let out a howl of pain, falling to her knees in shock.

A flash of black darted past us and Nikobe looked up just in time for Mathias to grip the intruder by the neck, picking them up effortlessly with just one arm. I could tell he was mind-linking with her and when he drew back his right arm, I watched as his arm struck through her chest and when it pulled back it held her heart.

Mathias roared, dropping the lifeless body to the ground and smashed her heart in his hands, blood flying everywhere.

What Nikobe experienced next shocked me. Her emotions went from worried, to calm, to pure anger, then to nothing. She was just blank.

She bowed her head in respect.

'Stand up.' Mathias' rough voice cut through lycan mind-link.

She did as told, but let out a small whimper from the wound that was leaking blood. Mathias' lycan form dropped to a knee, looking the wound over. He snarled, looking away.

'We need to get you cleaned up.' He responding, standing back to his feet.

I could see by the way he was so tense that he was fighting his anger and control.

'I'm going to have to mark you soon. This cannot happen again and once I mark you, you'll possess some of my abilities.' Nikobe nodded, following behind him to the palace.

He stopped abruptly and turned to face her. 'And don't ever bow to me again. You're my equal and nothing less.' he snapped and turned walking back inside.

I knew he was fighting his anger down, but this wasn't exactly something to get mad at us about! I didn't tell the damn lycan to come after us!

When I staggered back inside, a doctor was waiting for me and directed me to a medical inspection room.

"I'm going to need you to shift back, your highness." He replied and turned so his back was to me.

I gulped, trying to take back control but Nikobe was fighting me for it.

'If I shift back, your normal form will not take this wound well. It is deeper than expected. She got us good.' Nikobe told me.

'Well, we have to fix it and the doctor said to shift! We're bleeding out as you stand here.'

I wanted to wince looking at the blood pooling through the hand she had placed over it and blood dripping to the floor. I could feel her uneasiness sweep through our bond. She was worried.

And if Nikobe was worried, I was petrified.

"Your highness?" The doctor called out and Nikobe let out a huff.

'If I shift and we bleed out...it's on you.' Before I knew it, I felt the cracking of bones and soon my two feet were touching the cold, tiled floor.

"Uh...clothes?"

"On the bed."

I turned seeing a hospital gown laid out and I quickly covered myself with it.