Chapter Forty-Nine|| The Future Heir

{Rosemarie's POV}

I paced around as I bit my nails nervously.

"Timer is almost up." Mathias declared with a smile on his face.

"What if it's negative again? What if I can't have children? What if—"

"Rose, hold on now. This is our second time trying a test."

"I know, but I can't help but think the worst... per usual." I rolled my eyes, sitting next to him on the edge of our bed.

"Would you stop thinking the worst? Nothing good comes out of that, as I've told you multiple times before. We'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it and decide what our other options are, but for now... would you just look at the damn test?"

Just as he finished that sentence, the blaring of the timer went off and I eagerly snatched up the stick that either had a positive or negative outcome for our future—quite literally.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath, and slowly opened them and looked down.

My heart stopped. "It's negative." I croaked.

Mathias quickly grabbed the test from me with a slight frown and narrowed eyes. "I was so sure..."

I looked at the test with a sick stomach. "I knew it..."

"Rose... come on now. It takes a while for many people to conceive, alright?"

"Yeah..."

"Take another one." He stated and my eyes snapped to meet his.

"What? Do you just want me to be disappointed again or?"

"You never know. Try one of the other brands we got."

"I don't want to. I just want to think about something else." I mumbled, trying my best to not overthink at the moment, which was impossible it felt like.

"Rose, just take another—" he froze, looking like something just came across his mind.

"I'll be damned," he mumbled.

"What? What are you—"

"Shh!" he spat out, leaning in closer to me.

I looked at him as if he was crazy and he leaned lower to my stomach. He reached out, placing a hand on it and I watched as his eyes glowed a bright red. "I can hear a heartbeat."

"How is that possible?"

"Lycans are quicker to develop than any normal wolf." he nearly whispered.

"But the test was negative."

"Our kid could be a tribrid, like you. Lycans have special abilities from the minute the embryo forms, just as I did, but I have a feeling if what I'm hearing is correct, the baby is unknowingly cloaking his or her self. This means the baby could have a witch gene."

"W-what?" my heart was pounding so hard, I felt as if I could hear it.

He rose up, grinning at me. "Rose, you're definitely pregnant, and by the looks of it... the baby is a tribrid. You haven't had any outburst like a full lycan pregnancy would have started, we have a lycan connection with it by the way our eyes change colors, and it is already cloaking itself. The last part that remains is the wolf side and since you were bitten instead of having the lycan ancestor gene, it's possible your wolf side pulled through in the gene pool."

"Oh, Goddess. Mathias... we have twins on my mother's side of the family. I don't want twins. I don't even know how to take care of one right now. What if we have two?" I stressed and he belched out a laugh.