Chapter Twenty-Eight|| Lycan Spotting

{Mathias' POV}

Rosemarie's parents didn't take the news of a new lycan threat lightly. Since we talked after Rose's attack, we knew it was always a possibility of a full lycan being out there but they didn't want to accept the fact that it was true.

I could see it in Scarlett's eyes, she was terrified for her daughter. I hated seeing both Rose and her mom so scared and Christian being so angry. He knew there was nothing he could do about it, after all, a full lycan is way stronger than he is.

It was all in my hands now. I had a mate to protect and that was so new to me. I didn't know how to comfort her, every time I tried to it seemed like I failed. I don't care if it kills me, nothing and I mean nothing will hurt Rose.

Here I stood, in my full lycan form, shredding a deer to pieces. I let my anger flourish through me as I took it out on the poor animal. I couldn't help but feeling like I was failing Rose every day I didn't catch this beast that was becoming a threat. Blood covered me from head to toe as I finally stepped back, letting out a puff of air. My hands were shaking as my anger was getting out of control.

I closed my eyes thinking about the woman who seemed to be the only thing on my mind since I first laid my eyes on her in years. Her smile, her laugh, her little nose crinkle she does when she gets aggravated. I instantly felt myself calming down and I sighed, shifting back and resting my back against the trunk of a nearby tree. I will not fail her—I can't.

I love that woman with everything in me. I have since I was a mere child. Of course, at the time I didn't understand the idea of love but being around her and just knowing how my heart races with her being near me, I know now that I am one hundred percent in love with that brown-eyed beauty. It wasn't just some mate bond.

'Mathias? Where are you?' Rose linked and I smiled just hearing her voice.

'Went out for a run this morning. I'm about to head back now.' I replied, waiting for her response.

'You need to head over to the south border. My father and his men are headed there now. Someone is trying to get through the barrier, the twins called...they can feel it.' The worried tone in her voice sent me into alert.

'On my way.' I growled out, shifting back into my beast and took off through the forest.

Just a few minutes later, the sight of Christian and his men, who were in wolf form, came into my line of view. I slowed my pace, hearing the tortured howls of a lycan. Christian was the only one not in wolf form as I walked up next to him, taking in the sight before me.

A lycan laid hunched over at the border trying to crawl back to the other side in pain.

"Are you dealing with it or me?" he asked, arms folded.

I growled, moving forward and grabbed the lycan by the hide of its neck and tossed him over the border. His howls of pain stopped as I walked to him and once again picked him up by his throat let out a snarl. The lycan winced, looking away in fear.

'Who are you and why are you trying to enter our pack?'

'I am Leviathan. I was demanded to come here and retrieve Nikobe and Rose.' He spoke.

'Why?'

'My alpha told me to.' I roared at the response, throwing him into the earth's hard surface and he grunted in pain.

'I am your alpha! How dare you try to follow another.'

'You're not anymore. You're not the oldest.' He shot back and I halted.