Chaptr Five

____________________

Katrina looked around the large house. It was beautiful. The kitchen was a pale yellow color, which made the room look cheerful in Katrina's opinion. The floors were a dark mahogany color and the counter tops and dinning set matched. She turned herself in her chair in hopes of seeing the living area.

The only features she could make out were the off white walls and a beautiful fireplace and mantle. She was very please to be living here, it was much better than the drafty, dreary home she had come from.

Rhye walked back into the kitchen and smiled gently at her. "Would you like me to show you the rest of the house when we get back?"

She nodded. "Yes please."

"I will show you the barn as well. I am sure you are eager to see the horses."

Katrina's eyes lit up in excitement and once again Rhye's lit up in adoration.

"You look pretty." he commented after a brief silence.

"T-Thank you." Katrina mumbled as a flush crept up her face. She did feel pretty for once. She had taken a bath, s and now she smelled like tropical fruit. She had dressed in one of the sundresses Joe picked out and in true teenage girl fashion, Caitlin had begged to do her makeup. Katrina allowed her after Caitlin almost had to give a written statement Rhye would like it. It had helped cover some of the spots on her face. She was very embarrassed of them.

"Are you hungry?" he asked, even though they had eaten less than two hours ago.

"No thank you."

"Are you thirsty?"

"No thank you."

"Are you hot?"

"No."

"Cold"

"No."

"Pretty?"

"No."

"Lies!" Rhye shouted in mock anger.

"What.?" she giggled when she realized Rhye had tricked her.

"Are you ready?" he asked as he picked her up. Her trembling had started again. Rhye knew his holding her didn't stop her trembling, but he hoped it would condition her to trust him more.

"Aren't I heavy?" she asked him.

He chuckled. "No, I have carried hay bales heavier than you."

She rolled her eyes and he tossed her over his shoulder.

"Are you sassing me woman?"

"I am "whating" you?"

"Are you being a smart elect?"

"No!"

"I think you were. You rolled your eyes at me sassy britches." he teased as he carried her out to the truck.

She giggled when he sat her in the truck with a "plonk".

He came around and climbed in his side, making sure she was buckled up before pulling off.

"So, I am talking to a therpist today?" she asked. She was a little nervous, but she knew it would help her.

"Yes, we shall share all of our secrets." he sang. Katrina decided she liked Rhye in the mornings. He was fun, not that he wasn't fun the rest of the time, he was just more serious later in the day.

"What else are we doing?"

"We are doing blood work, height, weight and current immunizations."

She nodded. She knew she was probably really behind on immunizations.

"Are you scared of shots?" he asked her.

She shook her head. "I'm not scared."

"Poo." he said while pursing his lips.

"Poo?"

"If you were scared, I could have held you." he said with a grin, causing her face to heat.

"I am scared, horrified actually. I might even cry." she assured him, making him laugh.

~30 Minutes Later~

"Birth year?"

"1993"

"County you were born in?"

"Pulaski"

"Do you know the last time you saw a doctor?"

"2005"

"What was it for?"

"A follow up on the accident."

"You haven't been to the doctor since then?" Ryhe asked. You could tell he was trying to ask the question gently, but it still embarrassed Kat.

"No sir." she mumbled.

Rhye put the clipboard down and put his arm around Katrina. "I didn't mean to embarrass you, I am so sorry Kat." he apologized.

"It's ok."

"No, it's not. You don't have to pretend it is." he said as he rubbed his hands over her arms.

She laid her head on his chest and he moved his hands to her hair. He needed to remember Kat was still sensitive. She had opened up so quickly, he forgot he needed to approach these questions with a little more thought.

He looked up when the office door opened and a nurse stepped back.

"Katrina Davis?"

Rhye nodded his head and lead Katrina back.

The nurse smiled politely and motioned for him to follow.

"Ready Kat?" he asked as he stepped into the room she had been assigned.

"Kat?" he repeated when he got no answer.

He tipped her head back and she clung to him.

"I lied." she said. " I am scared."

Rhye chuckled as he sat down on the table. He hugged her to him and rocked them back and forth.

"I won't let anything hurt you. I promise." he whispered as he worked to calm her. He meant that in a literal sense. He wasn't going to let anything hurt Katrina ever again.

--------------------------------------------

Comment "Taylor" if you liked this chapter.