Chapter Twenty-Six

Rhye

Rhye stood off to the side of the porch. He leaned his large frame against the wooden support beam and watched his sweet princess. She had her head thrown back in innocent laughter at something Caitlin or Lexi said. They were all pilled into the a little carriage wagon attached to a tractor Tyler was pulling.

She had made Rhye proud tonight. She had been thankful, polite, considerate and respectful all night long. She had met at least a dozen people and each one had commended Rhye on having such an amazing woman.

He was brought from his thoughts when Joe stepped on the porch with him.

"Hey boss."

"I am going to start addressing you as slave if you don't stop calling me boss."

Joe chuckled.

"She is having an amazing time." Rhye commented after a comfortable moment of silence.

"She is. We were blessed with the turnout for this party." The community and Rhye's church family had really come through to help Katrina feel welcomed. They had also surprised them with numerous house warming gifts.

"We were." Rhye agreed.

"She looks so much like her mother." Joe finally admitted.

"I am sure she would like to know that." Rhye encouraged.

"I can't tell her yet boss."

"Why?" Rhye asked as he turned to face the older man.

"What if she's upset?"

"You know Kat well enough to know she wouldn't be."

"I know." Joe sighed.

"What's the matter then?" Rhye asked gently.

"I guess I am just nervous." he admitted.

Rhye nodded. He could understand that.

"Rhye!" Katrina yelled, making him look up.

"Can you please come here ?"

He excused himself from Joe and walked across the yard.

"Hello love!" he said as he scooped her up and cuddled her.

"I have to go to the restroom." she whispered in his ear making him smile. She had managed to get a painful blister on her foot while they were walking around at the amusement park. She had been so excited she hadn't paid attention to it until they got home later that night. Rhye had protectively doctored it up and ordered her to stay off of it for a few days.

He carried her back to the porch and set her on her sock covered feet. "Thank you for all of this." She said to him and she wrapped her arms around him. She was showing him more physical affection little by little. Rhye was so thankful.

"I would do anything for you princess. You're worth it all." He spoke truthfully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Max

Max walked out of the kitchen and took a seat of a step of the porch.

He rubbed at his knee. He was hurting so badly, but he didn't want to pull Lexi away from the party.

"You ok?" Rhye asked.

"Just my knee." he said.

"You are having more problems with it lately." Rgye pointed out.

"Yeah." Max said. He already knew that and he was worried about it.

"You know that it could be psychological right? Rhye asked gently.

Max looked up. "You think?"

"You know the anniversary of the accident is coming up and maybe subconsciously your mind is playing tricks on you."

"You know, I think the doctor mentioned that when all of this first happened, but I had forgotten about it. He said it could happen a while after too. It's been a few years."

"Maybe you should call him or talk to your counselor." Rhye suggested.

"I think I will call Monday." Max said as he saved a reminder in his phone.

"Let me know what they say." Rhye commanded as he stood up.

"Sir yes sir!" Mac commanded with a fake salute. Even though he was mocking Rhye, he was totally thankful for such great friends.

He smiled as Katrina limped from the inside the house. He scooped her back up and carried her toward her friends. Tyler helped her back into the wagon. He took a minute to look at Caitlin and he felt such a relief when he saw her smiling and laughing. 'Thank you Lord for sending us Katrina. I think we all needed her.' He prayed silently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment if you liked this chapter please!!!!