Chapter Ten

Max stood outside the little emergency room signing papers.

He and Lexi had been here for hours and she was just now being released. It had been determined she had no broken bones or serious lacerations, but they warned him she would be pretty sore for a few weeks.

She had given her statement and after talking to the foster family she was staying with, her story was cleared. Come morning there would be a warrant for Chase Masters. It would take a little more digging to find proof he had purchased Lexi from Mrs. Justice, but the officers said they wouldn't be surprised to find something. When they began to investigate Justice, they had uncovered many things that she could not explain her way out of.

Because of the trauma Lexi had endured over the last few days, she would not be going back to the foster family. Her social worker said it was too traumatic for her, so Max offered to take her with him. He had to sign paperwork for a back ground check for himself and his grandmother that lived with him. It had all come back clear, so he was now signing temporary custody papers on Lexi. He figured his past military service had helped that happen so quickly, of course the social worker did say that there were over 3,000 kids in Georgia that were waiting on foster homes because of the small number available.

"I will come down and see her once a month. As long as everything is fine, she will continue to stay in your care." the social worker stated.

Max nodded.

"I think it will be great for her to be out in the country. Away from all of this..." she said as she gestured around her towards the police cars and ambulances.

Max nodded again.

"Do you have any questions?" she asked with a gentle smile. She could probably sense his shock at the whole situation.

"How do I get the paperwork to register her for school?"

"I will fax it in for you. What school will she be attending?"

"Dodge County High. It is the only high school in our area."

She laughed. "It must be nice compared to this large town."

Max nodded. "I am thankful to live in such a secluded area."

This time she nodded. "I can imagine."

The two shook hands and Max made his way back into the little hospital.

He stepped back in Lexi's room and frowned at her tear stained  face.

"It is going to be okay honey." he said as he took her hand.

"I am sorry." she mumbled as she wiped her tears away. He slid the blanket from the bottom of the bed and wrapped it around her.

"You don't have to be sorry. I know you are very scared and I am sure you are very tired." Max soothed. He could tell she was tired from the medication she had been given and this whole ordeal. She had large black circles under her eyes and her skin was unnaturally pale. 

"Thank you." she said as she looked up and met his eye.

"You are welcome." he said as he helped her lay back. It didn't take long before she was sleeping and Max took his concerns to his heavenly father.

"Lord, please help me to help Lexi. I am not very good with emotions or tears. You saw how I accidentally hurt Katrina's feelings the other day. Please just guide me as I follow you in this new role you have chosen for me."

~~~~~~~~~

Katrina woke with a start. Her lungs burned, begging for air and her heart beat fast as butterfly wings.

She hated this feeling of terror.  

"Lord, I am scared." she whispered into the darkness of the room.

She glanced at the clock and sighed. It was only three.

She listened to the gentle tug at her heart. She wanted Rhye.

She quickly sat up and walked out into the hallway. She knocked on Rhye's door, praying he wouldn't be angry at her for wanting him.

She heard shuffling and watched as the door opened.

"Are you okay sweetheart?" he asked with panic lacing his voice.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I am sorry." she apologized. She suddenly felt foolish for waking him.

"What's wrong baby?" he asked as he took her hand.

"I-I was just scared." she mumbled.

He smiled at her gently and pulled her into his arms. She rested her head on his shoulder and sighed in contentment.

He chuckled as he lead her into the living room and cuddled beside her on the couch.

 He flicked on the television and tucked a blanket around her. He kissed her forehead and she blushed.

He went to whisper something in her ear just as she looked up, causing their heads to collide.

"Ow!" They both mumbled and then laughed. The closeness of space caused Rhye's breath to fan across Kat's face. His eyes flickered to her lips and smiled.

"You know what's funny baby girl?" he asked.

"W-what?" she whispered.

"We're getting married and I haven't even kissed you." he teased.

"Maybe you should change that." she mumbled. Her eyes widened as she realized what she said.

He whole heartedly laughed.

"I think I should." he said as he lowered his lips to her waiting mouth. He was taking his sweet sweet time connecting their lips and Kat was just about to raise her mouth to his, when thunder echoed into the living room.

"Aughhhhhhhhh" Taylor's scream also echoed into the living room.

"Rhye!!!" Caitlin's scream followed.

"Thunder!!!" Tyler yelled, running from one of the bedrooms.

All three of them met in the hallway and raced into the living room.

"Rhye!" they yelled simultaneously.

"I shouldn't have let Tyler and Taylor spend the night." he mumbled.

Katrina grinned as all three of them piled onto the couch with Katrina and Rhye, causing the couch to collapse from all the weight.

They all landed in a pile on the floor, causing Ryhe to groan but Katrina to laugh.

She didn't care they interrupted her almost first kiss, she loved them and was so thankful everyone was in her life. She just wished Lexi was here to share it all with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment "Lexi" if you like this chapter:)

Love you!!