Chapter Twelve

Rhye and Katrina

 "I like the yellow ones."

"Ok."

"No wait. I like the pink ones."

"Ok."

"Wait..."

Rhye chuckled and shook his head at Kat's indecisiveness. They had been standing in K-mart for over an hour and she had yet to decide on what color rain boots she wanted. (I do this to my husband all the time.)

"How about the Zebra pair?" he suggested.

"Oh yeah. I like them." Kat agreed, making him chuckle again. He had a feeling he could have suggested the ugly green ones and she would have agreed, just because she thought he liked them.

"Okay, now let's go to the real shoes." he said as he lead her onto another isle.

"I am sorry you're having to spend all of your money on me."

"I want too, and technically it is going to be our money." he gently reminded her.

She smiled, content with his answer. He lead her into the shoe section and looked for boots.

"How about these baby? They have pale pink studs." Rhye asked as he picked up the pair.

"I like those!"

Rhye added them to the pile of shoes in the cart. "Ok, now we need a book bag for school."

"Can I have a pink one? No a yellow one..."

Rhye shook his head and laughed. "Princess, I think we are going to be here for a while."

--------------------------------------------

Two Hours Later:

Max looked down and brushed Lexi's hair out of her face. She was still sleeping and he didn't have the heart to wake her. He had been rocking her since she fell asleep and she seemed to be enjoying it.

 Rhye watched as her face went from one of confusion  to one of excitement. Rhye covered her mouth with his hand before she squealed in excitement.

"This is your surprise baby girl. Max now has temporary custody of Lexi and he is working on getting full custody." he said with a smile. Max had just decided that this morning. He was hoping because of Lexi's age and the trauma she had already endured, the courts would be willing to rule in her favor and allow her to stay here with him.

"haohfdahf" Kat mumbled into his hand.

Rhye and Max laughed and Rhye removed his hand. "What baby?"

"I am so excited!"

Rhye melted as he saw her smile.

 "Lexi?" Max whispered. She stirred in her sleep and sighed.

"Sweetheart?" Max tried again. This time Lexi opened her eyes and stretched.

"Sweetheart, I have a surprise for you." Max said softly.

"For me?" she asked.

"Yes ma'ma. Look." he said as he pointed to Kat.

Lexi followed his gaze and squealed. "Kat!" she cried as she stood up and rushed over to her friend.

"Lexi!' Kat squealed as she hugged the young girl.

"I missed you so much!" they shouted at the same time.

"Hey, I brought some hay I need to unload for the west pasture. You want to help me?" Rhye asked Max. Rhye could have unloaded it by himself, but he wanted to give the women some alone time.