Chapter Thirteen

"I can't eat anymore!" Lexi exclaimed as she fell over onto the couch.

"I think I gained twelve pounds!" Kat moaned as she fell back also.

Max and Rhye laughed as they continued eating. The girls only had three prices of pizza and some fries, but they acted like they had eaten a whole box.

"I think you guys could stand to gain some weight." Rhye said.

"I will have you know I am in perfect weight range!" Kat argued. It was true, though Rhye still took by his opinion she could gain a bit.

"I weight one-hundred and twenty-three pounds!" Lexi said as she stuck out her tongue.

Max snorted. "one-hundred and twenty-three pounds my butt."

"I do weigh that!" Lexi exclaimed in a fit of giggles.

"She does weigh that!" Kat defended.

"How do you know?" Lexi asked her.

"I don't. I am just defending you."

"Oh. Thanks, you're a good friend."

"See even Kat knows!" Lexi proclaimed, making both men laugh. These girls were crazy once they opened up. Rhye thought it may be because they weren't as self-conscious around each other.

"I have a scale in the bathroom. I will bet you trash duty that you do more than one-hundred and ten pounds."

"Deal!" Lexi said.

Max stood up to get the scale as Rhye reached over and ate a fifth piece of pizza.

"Baby girl, are you sure you can't eat another piece?" he asked as he looked up at Kat.

"No thank you. I am full." she said with a blush.

"Be right back." Lexi said as she headed in the direction on her room.

"Does Max really care how much Lexi weighs?" Kat asked worried about her friends feelings.

Rhye smiled at her sweetly. "No baby, he just wants to make sure she is healthy. She looks very small just as you do."

"Why didn't he just ask her?"

"Would you like it if I asked how much you weighed?"

"No." Kat admitted.

"Well, there you have your answer."

Kat nodded.

Rhye moved over and set next to her. He wrapped an arm around her and she snugged into him. She felt him staring at her and she looked up. He smiled at her. "I love you princess." he said as he brushed his hands over her cheecks. Before she could reply to his statement, he dipped his head and lowered her mouth to hers. The electricity she felt when her lips touched his was unexplainable. The gentle way he applied pressure, yet held back in case she had any protest took her breath away. He moved her hands from her cheeks to cup the back of her head.

"Hey Rhye... WOAH!" Max said as he walked back in with Lexi.

"Holy Kisses!" Lexi exclaimed.

Kat blushed and buried her head into Rhye's chest. He just laughed and wrapped her arms around her pulling her tighter.

"That was so sweet!" Lexi sang as she hopped back onto the couch.

"What was it like? Did you feel butterflies?" Lexi rushed.

"Lexi, don't ask personal questions like that love." Max laughed.

"but I want to know." she pouted.

"Well, one day you will find out." he reminded. "A long while from now."

Lexi rolled her eyes, but smiled. Max knew she appreciated having someone that cared.

The tension was broken when Rhye's cell rang.

"Hey Joe." he answered.

"Sure, do you want to meet me at the coffee shop in town?"

"Okay man. I am on my way." he said as he hung up.

"Baby girl, I need to go meet Joe. He needs to talk to me about something private. Are you ready to go home?"

"No." Lexi whined.

"No." Max whined making Lexi laugh again.

"Yes." Kat answered.

"She can stay here." Max offered.

"Can I do that?" Kat asked.

"Yeah baby. I will be back by later to get you ok?"

Kat nodded and accepted his quick kiss before he walked off.

"Let's watch movies!" Max said as he opened the entertainment center. The girls looked at all the movies in awe.

"Let's watch Finding Nemo." Max said.

"What is Finding Nemo?" Lexi asked.

"It is a sad movie about a man who loses his wife to a serial killer and then, in a twist of already unfortunate events, his son is kidnapped. So, he and a mental deranged woman go on a search to find him."

"Aw, that does sound sad." Kat agreed.

Each woman wondered why Max smirked as he put it in.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Joe and Rhye

"Hey man. What's up?" Rhye asked as he sat down beside Joe.

"I needed to talk to you."

"So you said."

"Look, there are some things you don't know about me."

Rhye nodded urging the man to continue.

"You know I lost my practice and I don't really see my kids, but I never told you why."

"You don't have to tell me Joe. I accept the new, redeemed you." Rhye reminded.

"I know, but after this afternoon I need to tell you."

"I had an affair with one of my nurses. She was young and naive. I promised her the world, The affair went on for almost a year before my ex-wife found out. She took the kids and left. At first I played it off like it was my intent the whole time, but in reality I started drinking. The drinking cost me my medical practice my license and my family. The day the my ex-wife refused to let me see my girls because I was drunk was my wake-up call and I stopped drinking. I also broke up with the nurse. What I didn't know was she was pregnant with my baby." Joe paused to finally look up at Rhye.

"So you have another child?" Rhye asked.

"Yeah. I found out who she was today."

"That is great Joe. Is she willing to have a relationship with you?"

"I don't know. I need to ask her fiancee if it is ok to speak with her. I understand she has had a hard life."

Rhye nodded. "Yous hould just ask him. I am sure if he is a man of God, he will understand.

Joe nodded.

"What's her name?" Rhye asked after a long pause.

"Katrina Davis." Joe finally answered.

"K-Kat?" Rhye asked.

"So what do you say boss, can I talk to her?" Joe asked with a calmness he didn't feel.

-------------------------------------------

Cliffhanger!

Comment "Joe" if you liked this chapter :)