35: The Consequences of Following

look at me actually updating on saturday as my schedule says wow!

*

In the first couple of days, Nathan made sure to be with Royce as much as possible, finding silly excuses or straight up telling Royce that he should spend the day with him. He had no problem with it. Royce may lack at showing his emotions but he wanted it as badly and so he would give in to Nathan's request easily, without putting up a fight.

Royce was still learning, struggling, and getting used to the feeling of having someone beside him constantly but even he had to say, it was soothing and comforting. He didn't mind having Nathan around one bit but he never imagined it would be so extreme. As Royce had said many times, he wasn't oblivious.

Nathan worked hard to follow him everywhere in school, it was like he memorized his whole schedule, every class he was in, and what time he'd finish which was pretty insane. Eventually, Royce wasn't surprised to find Nathan standing outside his classroom every time he walks out, expecting him there.

It was weird and Nathan was being way too obvious about it. Whenever he wasn't attending his own class, he was right next to Royce. It could've been because they were apart for a long time and Nathan wanted to catch up to everything going on in Royce's life (not that there was much going on, to begin with) and Royce totally get where he was coming from.

But it was different.

Nathan asked—no, he insisted, to be with him literally all the time with certain desperation and that didn't sit well with Royce. He walked with a glare on his face, eyes on alert like if anyone so much as thought of bullying Royce or dared to step into their personal zone, he was ready to fight. Somewhere on the line, Nathan was worried if he left Royce alone, maybe something bad would happen.

It was only a possibility but if Nathan was doing this to protect him from the bullies then Royce was going to be very upset rather than being pissed. He didn't like how Nathan was running from class to class, tiring himself and going out of his way for such a ridiculous thing.

Royce couldn't say anything. He wanted to bring it up, he wanted to say something but didn't know how to approach this topic without making things awkward between them again. So one day when they were sitting in the parking lot after school and Nathan asked Royce if they can ride to school together in his car, he saw it coming.

"My house is the opposite way to school," Royce said in a matter of fact tone, narrowing his gray eyes. "I don't think we can manage."

"We literally live ten minutes away." Nathan was practically bouncing excitedly from where he was sitting and offered. "Plus I can wake up early."

"That would be hectic."

"Or fun."

"No."

"Why not?"

Royce gathered his thoughts before speaking slow enough to emphasize each line. "You've been doing a lot for me recently, too much that it burdens me and makes me feel guilty for not doing the same. Please don't overdo, Nate."

Nathan shook his head lightly. "You don't have to return the favour, Ray. It makes me happy. I'm doing this at my own accord."

"Why don't you understand that I don't want to trouble you!" Pressing his lips into a thin line, Royce stood up, taking steady breaths. "Why do you insist on walking me everywhere? You know I can walk to my class alone."

Nathan stared at him, his face expressionless and fingers laced together resting on his knees and legs spread casually. He stayed quiet so Royce took the opportunity to continue.

"I understand your good intentions but I'm not a kid, Nate. Is it because you're trying to protect me from the bullies? What are your reasons? Tell me the truth."

"Hold up." Nathan got up too, a scowl on his lips which was very rare. "You aren't entirely wrong. I do want to protect you from the bullies." Royce opened his mouth, ready to spew nonsense but Nathan stopped him by raising his hand. "But that's only the second reason."

Royce furrowed his eyebrows, not expecting this answer. "What's the first one?"

"Wanting to be with you." Nathan took a step closer to Royce. "Trying to make up for all the time we lost." Another intimidating step. "Wanting to spend more time with you." They were face to face now and he lowered his head until his lips were right next to Royce's ear. "Wanna see you more." A fiery look in his eyes, his breath hot and ticklish. "What's wrong with that?" He had Royce cornered until his back was pressing against the car.

Royce was startled and he held his breath for a moment. He didn't blink for a good while before flickering his eyes down and his lower lip jutting out in a pout. "Okay, you got me." He played with the strap of his backpack, throwing a nervous glance at him. "I still think you're doing too much."

"Fine." Nathan rolled his eyes, stepping back and fixed his jacket as if he was bothered by the sudden hot atmosphere. "I'll lessen it down. I know it can be overwhelming."

"Phew." Royce's shoulder dropped into a relaxing posture. "Good."

"We're still riding to school together though."

"I GIVE UP!"

*

author's note:

author's note:

Editing this chapter was a pain but it was worth it. Drop your precious thoughts!

Spoiler: I finally came up with a satisfying kissing scene but don't know when it'll play out. I'd like to finish this book by the end of september (but I have no faith in me or my schedule so we'll see). Wish me luck guys!