23: The Consequences of Denying

Royce figured he liked boys at the age of ten. The realisation hadn't been surprising neither it was unexpected. He was always suspicious at himself, suspicious at the way he would stare at boys without any disgust, suspicious at the feeling which crawled underneath his skin every time he was with Nathan, it all came to him so naturally, as if it was meant to be.

Or perhaps he was overthinking, looking into things too much and so he disguised his thoughts, called it a phase as others put it, faking a strained smile instead. For months he refused to acknowledge this part of himself, afraid of the troubles he would have to face. It was better being ignorant.

For a while, it definitely was. However, he didn't last long, he just couldn't.

Royce once had a certain dream, involving a certain boy and all the strings he kept a hold on for so long — snapped in two.

He had a breakdown the next morning.

Royce was scared, so damn scared - his eyes cried rivers, sobs broke in the form of a sad song no one heard. He kept himself locked in his room that day and refused to meet anyone's eyes, feeling guilty and ashamed but someday he would learn to accept this part of himself.

Someday, just not today.