10: The Consequences of Escaping

After wandering almost all over the school property, Royce found Nathan leaning against his own car at the parking lot, a cigarette dangling between his fingers.

Royce was hidden from Nathan's view, which also meant he couldn't see whatever expression he had on his ugly face. Seeing him smoking made his stomach twist in different knots. When did he start smoking? Was he addicted? What the heck was he standing alone for like a loser?

He has friends for fuck's sake.

Royce couldn't recall ever seeing him like this. Like he was miserable and this was his only way out, his escape from reality. It made him so mad because Nathan had no right to behave like a loner when Royce was the one left aside on the road. Still, he couldn't help but feel a tiny bit of sympathy for the guy.

Something wasn't adding up. Some pieces were still missing, pieces from Nathan's side of the story. Royce had no clue how to deal with this whole situation, what to do and how to dig deeper. It was just messed up and too hurtful for him. Facing Nathan was the last thing he wanted to do but he did quite save his ass last night. Royce told himself, he was only doing this for his sister but was he really?

He should just go there and get it over with but he stood still like a statue. Royce lost all track of time, compelled only to watch. He left soon after without seeing Nathan, without saying thank you. Those two words never made it past his lips.

Nathan was only able to see a shadow of a figure before the person ran away.