Chapter 62: The heart that loved her

C'mon, Toshi.

Her knee bounced, glancing at Inko from her spot on the couch as the mother to her protege washed the dishes.

She would've assisted, but she was too busy trying to build up the courage to confess.

You face villains for a living! You came back from death's door once already, just say it!

"You know, Toshiko-kun..." Inko started, causing the hero in disguise to flinch and shiver at the same time.

"...Know what?" she asked softly, too scared to look up at Inko, hearing the soft footfalls as the woman approached.

"I've wanted to ask you something for a long time..." She took a seat next to Toshiko. "For a few months now, actually..."

Toshiko gulped, sweat starting to form on her back. "Wh- Uh- go ahead?"

The mother's hand found its way on her back, rubbing soothing circles around it. "You don't have to answer, but..."

W-wait is this happening? Is she really asking...?

Toshiko would've thought she was dreaming if her chronic pain wasn't still echoing through her with every shaky breath.

"Are you All Might?"

"Yes."

Toshiko's eyes snapped open and she almost fell back, looking at Inko in panic. "No! I mean no- I thought you were going to ask something else!"

Inko laughed, a maternal, calming laugh that made the pain fade slightly as it graced Toshiko's ears. "What did you think I was going to ask?"

"I- uhh..." For once she was thankful for how broken her body was, as the lack of blood was probably hiding her blush. "It... doesn't matter."

"Oh?" A glint appeared in Inko's eyes that brought her attention back to her face, a soft pout forming on the greenettes lips. "I think it does, you have been distant lately- Ah! Perhaps I've been too clingy, it's just... weird with Izuku out of the house and not always having time to call. I've been feeling..."

Her hand found Toshiko's, squeezing it lightly.

"...Lonely. I hope I wasn't too much..."

Toshiko spluttered a bit, squeezing her hand back reflexively. "N-no, no, not at all, you've been..."

"Wanna go out on a date?" Inko asked suddenly.

Time stopped as Toshiko's eyes widened, looking at the now-panicking form of Inko Midoriya, who was a blushing, stuttering mess after her outburst. "S-sorry, I've just- I've been- uhh meaning to ask you that for a while now, and it just kinda slipped out when you- God-" She pulled her hand back and covered her massive blush. "Me and my stupid-"

"Yes."

Inko blinked.

Then did that again.

And again.

Then a torrent of water hit Toshiko.

"Okay, so." Mei's eyes landed on Ochako, who was feeling a little more tense than usual under her gaze. "Did you enjoy yourself with Izuku?"

"I- uh- how did you know?" she mumbled, eyes slowly moving to Katsumi.

"Don't look at me, why would I know?!"

"Oh my God," Momo mumbled, almost breaking out into laughter. "That explains why you were so... giddy."

"And how much bolder she was with Izuku," Mei added with a smirk. "How was it?"