Chapter 34

Jin's heart stopped as face suddenly appeared in front of the camera.

And it was not Youra.

"Eomma!!" Youra exclaimed from the door. Apparently her parents decided to give her a surprise visit with cake and all. Sumi was there too with them. Youra's mind went blank when she saw her mom at the coffee table, sitting down. She was definitely not prepared to tell her mother about Jin.

Jin blinked.

"This doesn't look like a drama," her mom said. "Oh, this is Skype. Wait. Hi, there," she greeted. "Are you Youra's boyfriend?" she asked.

"Eomma!!" Youra was trying to get her hand and end the call but her mom was obviously more effective in blocking her out.

"Boyfriend?" her dad perked up. "Who is he?" Youra was getting more miserable as her dad sat next to her mom. Youra looked at Sumi pleadingly but Sumi just shook her head, knowing it would be futile.

"Is his name Jin? Is that why you are wearing that shirt?" asked her mother again. "My, you look awfully familiar," Youra wanted to run and hide.

"Hello Mr Han and Ms Kim. How are you? I am Kim Seokjin," he bowed to her parents.

"Oh, he has good manners," remarked her mother. Youra wanted to bury her head in the ground. She knew where her mother would go next. "When is your birthday?"

Youra was right. Her mom must have been good friends with the marriage shaman by now. They need the birthdates, year and time of birth, to check on marriage compatibility.

"It's December 4th 1992," replied JIn.

"Well, Youra's older but I don't think she mind a younger person," said her mother again. Youra rolled her eyes.

"How long have you known her?" asked her dad looking stern.

"We've known each other since January, sir."

"And what are your intention and plans towards my daughter?" her dad asked straight to the point.

"Appa!" Youra protested.

"Hush up, Youra. I want to hear what he has to say," waved her mom.

Sumi was fighting not to laugh and went behind Youra's parents. "Hey there, Jin! Good job in Japan," Sumi gave him a thumbs up.

"Hi there Sumi," Jin waved back.

"You know each other?" asked Youra's mom. "Why didn't you tell me?"

It was Sumi's turn to look caught. "Friendship first, Aunt Min. My lips are sealed," replied Sumi cheekily.

"Japan? Are you working in Japan?" Youra's father asked again.

"He's from Bangtan Sonyeondan, Uncle Cheol. They're in Japan for concerts and shows," supplied Sumi.

"Ah, that's why you look so familiar. You were on the news when you won that award in America," concluded Youra's mom. "My daughter is dating an idol," said her mom in a sing-song voice.

"Eomma, please. Don't tell anyone," begged Youra.

"Why not? Are you having an affair?" asked her dad sharply. Youra felt like she swallowed a whole chicken.

"Mr Han, my intention towards your daughter is all good. We are still learning about each other and you will be the first one to know if the relationship progresses," replied Jin.

"You are implying that the relationship might go wrong," her father continued.

"Appa!" Youra was literally pulling her hair out. "That's normal in a relationship, we don't know what the future holds."

"Dear, you are scaring him off," her mom put her hand on her dad's arm.

"Dear?" asked Youra puzzled. Her mom was used to calling her father 'hey' and 'you' all the time after the divorce. The sudden change to 'dear' was surprising.

"Oh, we're here to tell you I asked your dad to marry me. And he said yes," her mother announced, looking at her dad lovingly.

"You asked him? Dad, you should be embarrassed," Youra admonished her dad.

"I have rejected him many times. This time around, I do the asking," her mom gave a satisfied smile to her dad.

"Congratulations Mr Han and Ms Kim," said Jin from the other end.

"Thank you so much. The reception will be during the summer vacation. We would love to have you there too," her mom said warmly.

"I will try my best Ms Kim," Jin reassured.

"Which Kim are you from?" asked Youra's dad.

"I'm Gwangsan Kim."

"That's a good clan. I have friends from Gwangsan Kim too. Youra's mom here is Uiseong Kim. I'm Cheongju Han."

"Dad, he's not interested in all that and we're not in Joseon dynasty."

"Don't be a fool. He has to know that when he's in a relationship with you and your mom is a Kim too," said her father sternly.

"That's a famous clan," said Jin, referring to the Cheongju Han.

"Yes it is. So, if you plan to do something bad to my daughter, I'll be here waiting for you," Mr Han warned. "I know some shady characters who would help."

"My dad is kidding, He's a straight-laced businessman," jumped Youra in. "Jin, it's getting late and I think we should say good bye for now," said Youra to Jin.

"You called him Jin? Just Jin? Not honey or anything?" asked her mother. "How unromantic."

Youra made a face palm. Her parents could be chaotic some time. "I call him oppa," she said at last.

"But he's younger," her mom pointed that out again.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" said Youra.

"It's a pleasure meeting you Mr Han and Ms Kim," said Jin bowing again. "Good night Youra. Bye Sumi"

"Good night," and Youra ended the video call.

Her date didn't go as planned and she know there are a lot of questions waiting for her after the video call ended.

She needed soju real bad.

***********************

Author's note: Koreans surnames are based on their clan names and where they originated from. There are several Kim clans, as to why Youra's dad asked which clan Jin was from since Youra's mom is also a Kim. Before getting married, each Korean have to check their family tree to make sure they are not marrying their own clan. A Gwangsan Kim can marry an Uiseong Kim. A Gwangsan Kim cannot marry another Gwangsan Kim no matter if they're a 3rd or very distant cousins.