Chapter 54

Few years later...

"Youra baby, let's get married," said Jin as he took Youra after they had dinner at a fancy restaurant to celebrate her graduation.

She is now Han Youra, PhD.

Youra graduated with flying colours. She enrolled for PhD straight away after her Master's wanting to make a difference for her students' mental health and well-being. It was a tough three years and she felt like her head was frying off when she wrote her dissertation. She felt all kinds of cramps and instead of butterflies in her stomach, she felt like having elephants stampeding when she was defending her thesis in her viva voce exam.

The wedding proposal.
Let's get back to that.

Youra blinked her eyes. As far as a proposal could get, that was the most straight forward one. "Okay," she answered as straight as she was asked.

"You do realize you just said yes to me asking you to marry me," Jin double checked.

Youra laughed and hugged him tightly, "I do. After 6 years together, I'm in for a long haul. "

It was a rollercoaster ride for both of them. Most of them were due to the media circus that kept on writing gossips and rumours about them.

As expected, Youra's experience when she was young with Ae-Young's suicide went out. A reporter managed to get the news out on her being a witness to Minji's death. They couldn't get the dirt on Jin, so they turned to her. Mr Park had a field day sending lawsuits to the involved parties.

When there was bad, there would be good coming out of it. Some of her students and their parents went all their way out to defend Youra. It was the same as her friends and people she grew up with in Uiseong. Then she was applaud as a selfless person who would do everything to help other people. 

As much as Youra hated bad publicity, over the top praises didn't sit well with her too. Sumi, being her usual savage self told Youra to suck it up and live with it as she couldn't change people's perception towards her. She was practically a celebrity because of her relationship with Jin and and also her father.

As for her and Jin, they did fight a few times but it was more due to their long distance relationship during his concert tours. They fought because of petty things too but never left it to stew for too long. They would apologise, sometimes begrudgingly, depends on who started it first but they worked things out.

When they were away from each other Youra would always ask the other BTS to do something for her. That includes pulling pranks and hiding gifts. Jimin was always her best co-conspirators other than Taehyung. As for Jin, he asked for Sumi's help to pull off any plans for Youra.

"So, do I get a ring or something?" asked Youra.

"You do," he answered.

"Where is it?" she asked, getting impatient.

"You already have it."

She pulled back and look at him in disbelief. "No, I don't."

"Yes, you do. You're wearing it now," he gestured on the wooden necklace she was wearing.

"Oppa, this is a necklace, not a ring," she held the necklace up for him to see. The day she wore the necklace, the news was buzzing commenting on how cheapskate Jin was for getting her a wooden necklace, not a diamond or gold one. There were also toxic comments saying she was too desperate to just accept wood for a gift.

She couldn't care the least.

She didn't read them at all to know about it but of course, her ever so helpful students were relaying the messages. Over the years, she managed to block all the negativity circulating and went on with her life. She would go crazy if she let strangers on the internet to dictate her.

"Thank god you have no clue at all," he kissed her again and unclasped the necklace. Youra haven't taken it off since the day he put it on her. He was glad.

He took the locket off and turned it. The locket was not too big, but it was big enough to hide something in it. Inside, there was a cushion cut diamond ring.

Youra's jaw dropped and she instantly hit him on his chest

Youra's jaw dropped and she instantly hit him on his chest. "Are you crazy? I could lose the necklace and still not know what's inside."

Jin laughed. She was unique. Anyone would swoon looking at the ring and be extremely touched by the romantic gesture. She did the opposite and even hit him in return.

"But you didn't," he pointed it out and put the ring on her fourth finger. "There, right where it belongs."

It fits perfectly that Youra started to weep as reality dawned to her, "You gave me this 5 years ago."

"That I did," he agreed.

"You wouldn't have known if we would made it or not back then."

"Let's just say, I'm a man of great foresight." Truth was, when he was walking around during his tour he was not looking for an engagement ring. He was just window shopping for a watch at a David Yurman store until his eyes were set on the ring design not far from where he was. It reminded him of Youra and he ordered it. He then looked for a craftsman to make a locket that could hide the ring in. As cheesy as he may sound, he knew she was the One. With capital O.

"I love you so much," she said weepily.

He wiped the tears off her face and kissed her, "I love you so much too. Let's get you home. I don't think you want to be caught here in a provocative position."

That earned him another slap on the chest and he was laughing all the way to the car.

************************************

Author's note: So the ring in the locket idea is un-original. In 2017 there was a viral news on a man who hid the engagement ring in the locket he gave his fiancee.

I use this in the story since the character, Youra is a person who hated over the top proposal and I read that Jin is the type of person who would just ask someone to get married, without putting on a big show out of it

I use this in the story since the character, Youra is a person who hated over the top proposal and I read that Jin is the type of person who would just ask someone to get married, without putting on a big show out of it. So there.