Chapter 29

Lian Ru Yue's hands hovered over the strings before plucking one after another. Soon a melody formed. While Nan Su's melody was pleasant and pretty, Lian Ru Yue's was filled with complex notes and it made people feel the depths of sadness and longing coming from Lian Ru Yue. Back when she was an assassin, her master who adopted her had enjoyed playing Guqin so she learned how to play the Guqin from her master.

The birds that were chirping and every animal that was present in the courtyard suddenly dropped dead onto the ground as soon as Lian Ru Yue started playing, starling everyone. The Court Painter who was on the side quickly drew a beautiful painting of Lian Ru Yue and the animals. In the portrait, Lian Ru Yue was surrounded by animals that were scattered all over the ground while she was playing the guqin with the wind caressing her long silver hair. It was simply a beautiful painting that could entice anyone that saw it. Several Court Poets that were next to the painter also began composing poets about the beautiful music and scene. Overnight, Lian Ru Yue became a legendary beauty whose beauty caused the animals to drop to the ground from her music and beauty. This news was spread and known to every person on the continent.

Currently, she was completely freestyling, she was pouring all her emotions in the song she was playing. She was scared, confused, and most of all lonely. The audience felt touched and some let out tears as they listened to her playing the Guqin with a sad smile.

On the side, Nan Su clenched her fists as she burned holes into Lian Ru Yue's head with her ferocious glare.

Why does she have to be more talented and beautiful than me?!

While people were staring at her with different emotions, there was one particular stare from a girl that stood out from the rest.

Zhao Ruolan stared at Lian Ru Yue heatedly. She was making sure she had the beautiful image of the woman she loved perfectly memorized in her mind.

How good would it be if Lian Xiaojie could play only for me every day?

She wished wistfully and continued to stare delusionally at the silver-haired woman with infatuation and longing.

Lian Ru Yue ended the song with a single teardrop splattering onto the Guqin. She raised her head from the Guqin and the peach blossom tree that was in the courtyard suddenly blew causing the petals to fall down her form. She would've looked like a beautiful peach blossom fairy if she didn't have a mournful look on her face. Because she had a sad smile and tear stain on her face, she resembled a lonely celestial exiled from heaven with her outfit and silver hair. Her current expression made people want comfort and love her with all their hearts.

Chao Shirong felt like he could never understand her. She had so many hidden secrets...

The whole banquet was quiet and stared until Lian Ru Yue spoke up.

"Do I have something on my face again?" She touched her face and looked at the people around her.

"I don't have anything on my face tho. Why is everyone staring at me?" She continued on and looked around weirdly. Her question woke everyone from the trance and looked away with an embarrassed expression.

"Lian Xiaojie is so talented that's why everyone was staring at Lian Xiaojie," the Emperor explained with a fawning smile.

"Oh," she nodded with an awkward expression.

"Zhen has never heard of this song and wonders what the meaning of the song is," he said with curious eyes. He had to know the meaning of the song. Damn it, he almost cried too!

"It's normal that your majesty had never heard of this song before since I've just composed it and the meaning of this song is just things that I've been feeling these past months," she said softly with a distant look as if she was remembering something from her past.