Chapter Seven | Family Reunion

My doctor was ecstatic when she found out that I woke up.

For twenty minutes, I had to listen to her update me on my injuries. I had three bullet wounds; one in my shoulder and two in my leg.

"You're very strong, Mia." She said, smiling at me proudly. "And very lucky."

I had faced surgery because they couldn't find the bullets and were concerned about them creating internal injuries. As a result, I had some nerve and tissue damage. My body was mainly trying to recover from the amount of blood I lost.

I drowned out the information that she discussed with Alice. It was simple procedures regarding recovery and how to help me get back on my feet. I was going to be kept until my vitals were stabilized-which I hoped wouldn't be long because I hated hospitals.

I hated that I was being confined to such an uncomfortable bed; that I was surrounded by gifts that were sprawled out everywhere without a care in the world. I wanted to get up and organize everything because the untidiness of this room was driving me insane.

I wanted to be at home so I could monitor my brother incase he needed anything. And to make sure that my father was eating the right foods. Not stuck in a hospital that reeked of chemicals and despair.

It wasn't long after my doctor left when my door barged open.

The sight of my hysterical mother was nearly enough to make me go home right then.

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she rushed towards me. "Oh, my baby!" She wailed, engulfing me with her frail arms and old-lady perfume (despite only being in her 40s).

I whimpered as she crushed me a little too hard, "Ouch, Mom."

"Oh! I'm sorry," She frowned, giving me the space that I needed. She wiped her cheeks, trying to control her sobs as she looked at me with pity. "I can't believe I almost lost you."

She fluttered her arms uselessly, not knowing what to touch due to most of my limbs either being hooked up to wires, wrapped in a sling, or bandaged heavily. I was grateful for the space though. Hugging wasn't really a thing between my mother and I.

Her husband, Nick, greeted me as well-which was awkward and short lived. His children lingered by the door, waving at me sympathetically and looking out of place.

I was relieved when my father came in moments later.

He looked just as bad as Mom, hair matted, eyes blood shot and face filled with days of stubble. He also reeked of alcohol, which was embarrassing at first. But I held my tongue, simply patting his back when he bent down to hug me.

"Robert." Mom greeted in disdain, wrinkling her nose at my dad.

He gave her a tight-lipped grin. "Louisa."

Awkwardly, Dad gave Nick a curt nod which was returned with a half-assed wave.

"How's Aiden?" I couldn't help but ask, feeling anxiety beginning to bubble in my chest.

"He's fine. Been a bit uneasy without you around but...he's good."

"How are you feeling, baby?" Mom was desperate to divert any attention away from Aiden-like always.