Chapter Thirteen | Muse

At first, I didn't believe Alice.

I didn't want to believe her.

But the more I listened to the song, the more my resolve began to crumble.

It was a six minute rock ballad which was completely and authentically him, layered with acoustic and electric guitar riffs. The acoustic sound gave the song a folk feel. It was supported with light harmonies and string instruments. And then the electric guitar would come in, riffing up edgy notes and exciting the song with live drums. The song was littered with his trademark belts of high notes. His raspy voice was embodied with intensity and pain.

"This is unbelievable." Alice whispered, after pressing the replay button for the thousandth time.

To make it worse, the lyrics were just as impactful:

Take me back
To the moment when
You decided my life was worth more than your safety

I winced at the words, feeling Alice's gaze on my face.

We share empty words
And light conversation
Ignoring the fact that I should be right where you lay

Can't forget your eyes
Or the sound of your laugh
It's like you don't mind that three bullets put your life at stake

"Turn it off," I breathed.

"What?" Alice glanced at me incredulously.

"Just..." I sighed, reaching over to grab her phone. I clicked out of the app, trying to ignore the way my hands trembled. I didn't want to listen to it again.

"I thought you would be happy to hear this, Mia." Alice grumbled. "Or at least flattered..."

"Why would I be happy?" I frowned at her. "Did you listen to the lyrics?"

"Yes, but that doesn't dispute the fact that he wrote a freaking song about you!" She laughed. "You should be jumping for the moon, Mia. This is amazing!"

I wish I was the type of girl that would have been flattered by this. I wish that I could happily walk around and flaunt that I was one of the few girls that Harry Styles wrote a song about.

Instead, I was shocked and a bit unhappy. Unhappy at the situation I was in, unhappy that Harry seemed angry with me for saving his life, and unhappy that he failed to talk to me about this in the first place.

"I don't understand why you're so upset about this.." Alice grumbled, pulling me out of my reverie.

I rolled my eyes. "Can I go back to dancing now?"

Her jaw falls slack. "That's it?"

"What?"

"I barge into your room and show you a song that Harry freaking Styles wrote about you," She huffs, running a hand through her hair. "And you want to go back to practicing ballet?"

I blinked slowly at her, not understanding her frustration. "...Yes?"

She flopped onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling as she continued to rant under her breath. I quickly tuned her out, shaking my head as I got up from my bed.

This day would definitely be archived as my weirdest one yet.