Chapter Forty Three | Being Of The Jealous Kind

Harry remained silent as we walked to his car, humming absentmindedly under his breath. He stared off into space as if his life depended on it, lips pursed and hands in his pockets.

I took this as an opportunity to gaze at him, noticing how good he looked tonight. His stubble was thick and lined up just the way that I liked. His sleek black boots thumped against the concrete, air wafting with his delicious Tom Ford cologne.

Harry was wearing a maroon dress shirt and black slacks. The shirt was a button up, and opened dangerously low; showing off his abs and broad chest. I stared at his tatted torso—at his golden skin and bulky muscles. A cross pendant hung to the middle of his sternum.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked, voice timid. I didn't want to to seem like I was overanalyzing anything, but his change in behavior was off putting.

"Why would you think that?"

I rubbed my palms against my dress. They were sweating profusely. "Because you haven't really talked to me tonight."

He didn't say anything, hovering as I reached the passenger door to his car. It was a Dodge rental.

I turned around to face him, pressing my back against the door and crossing my arms.

"Do I look bad? Is that why?" I pressed, guessing blindly at this point. "You can tell me if I do. I know it's different than usual."

"No," He drawled. "You don't look bad at all."

I noticed a few specs of eyelashes on his cheek. "Stay still, darling. You have something..." Without a second thought, I reached up, grabbing his chin with one hand and swiping his cheek with my other. It took a few tries before the lashes were off. "...there." I mumbled.

I fixed his hair before he could say anything else, straightening out his collar quickly afterwards. "Very handsome." I acknowledged, nodding in approval.

"Thanks." He muttered, cheeks turning red.

That's when I sighed, resuming our conversation prior, "Harry, you've barely talked to me tonight."

When I glanced at him, his expression softened.

"I heard you talking a bit to Mathew so I just kind of assumed..." He cleared his throat. "I don't know, that you wanted space or something? It seemed like you two were hitting it off." My gaze lingered on his lips as he wet them. "But I'm not mad at your or anything, Mia. And you don't look bad at all. Far from it."

He began restlessly scuffing his shoes against the ground. A large gust of wind blew at that moment.

"Well, I don't want space from you. And we didn't hit it off that well." I mumbled, frowning at his conclusion. "I didn't want space from you Harry. I like having you around me."

His gaze remained on my eyes a few seconds more before he looked at the rest of my features. He stopped once he peered at my hair, glancing at the curls before reaching out and touching one with his fingers.

"So you're not interested in Mathew?" He questioned.

I glanced down at his lower lip, which was being chewed on relentlessly now. "Not at all." I couldn't help but wonder how soft his lips were.

He nodded, shoulders relaxing. Then he swallowed thickly.

"Were you jealous?" I asked, surprised by his behavior.

He paused. Then, "A bit, yeah."

My heart fluttered.

He moved closer to me, brushing a few strands of hair out of my face.

"Because I like you, Mia." He confessed. "I mean, not the platonic way," He stammered. "It's more than that."

I had sensed it for a while, or at least hoped that he did. I wasn't completely oblivious.

But I never thought he liked me enough to actually tell me.

It was a pleasant surprise.

Harry eyes stayed trained on me as he waited respectfully for me to reply. He absentmindedly played with one of my curls, visibly anxious about what he just said. I found it endearing.

His cool breath fanned my face and he smelled wonderful. His hair blew in the wind, and his lips became red as he chewed them.

A stampede of butterflies filled my gut. I stood on the tips of my toes, kissing his jaw before I could think anything of it. His skin felt hot.

"I like you too, Harry."

When I pulled back, He was grinning widely, humming in satisfaction at my words.

"I'm glad."