Chapter Fifty Five | Shelter

I hadn't expected to be up so early.

It was 4 A.M when I was jolted awake. My breath hitched at the sound of loud knocks tapping against my door. I knew that they had to be loud, because I could hear them all the way from my bedroom, which was quite far from my front entrance door.

Harry groaned softly from my movement. In the midst of sitting up, the covers had fallen off of me, causing a chilly breeze to hit my skin. It seemed to have affected Harry as well, because he groggily shifted in his sleep, shuffling under the comforter some more for warmth.

My heart was just beginning to settle down when the knocks began to sound again. My eyebrows knitted together as I tried not to jump out of my skin.

Harry reached for me blindly, his large hand coming in contact with my stomach, before he wrapped his arm around my waist and nestled closer. "Lay back down, please." He grumbled, voice thick with sleep. "Too early."

"Someone's at the door."

"Who cares...Come here."

"Yes, but they're knocking pretty loud-"

"They can wait. Cuddles first."

Despite the alarming situation, my lips tugged up into a smile. It was infectious whenever he was like this.

Our moment was ruined within seconds, because then my doorbell sounded, proving that the visitor still hadn't left.

"Who the hell is at the door..." Harry grumbled, irritable now. "It's fucking 4 A.M in the morning." He huffed a few more colorful words under his breath, shuffling out of bed and slipping the covers off of him.

I turned on my lamp from my bedside, watching as Harry walked into the connecting closet to shuffle through his suitcase for clean clothes.

It wasn't long before he was covering up his bare body, wearing a pair of sweats and a t-shirt.

"Were you expecting anyone?" He asked, glancing at me with droopy eyes.

"Nope."

"No Uber eats or other spontaneous food drop offs?"

"What do you think of me? Of course not!"

"Just asking," he laughed. "You have a knack for that sort of stuff, petal."

"I only did it once!"

He didn't say anything, simply yawning as he turned around and headed out the door.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, eyes widening.

"Going to check who it is."

"No, you aren't." I stood to my feet. "What if it's some serial killer or something?"

My irrational fears began to rise at the thought. There was no way I'd let him reach that door. We were staying here, safe, together; and out of harms reach.

"Don't be silly, Mia, y-"

"I'm being serious, you dimwit!" I reached for one of his stray shirts, slipping it on before grabbing a nearby pair of leggings.