Chapter Twenty | Typical Fuller Mornings

"Who's this guy anyways?" Aiden mumbled, giving me his empty bowl of tomato soup. I took it without hesitation, happy that he had the strength to eat his entire serving today.

"A friend."

"Nothing like any of your past boyfriends is he?" Aiden asked, raising an eyebrow. "They were dumbasses."

I cracked a smile, allowing myself to enjoy his brotherly concern for a few seconds more. It was rare when he was like this.

"No," I answered. "He couldn't be anymore different."

"Well, good." He rolled his eyes. "Don't want to deal with you crying over another boy."

"I've never cried over any boy and you know it." I laughed. "And if I did, I doubt you'd have enough energy to care."

To be honest, the only boy I ever cried over was Aiden.

I had relationships before. But they were never serious. Once it was time for them to meet my family, and they saw what my home life was like, they all dipped. I had too much baggage-too much responsibilities for a girl so young.

Most of the men I dated were simply trying to live their best life-be with a girl that had no drama or heavy responsibilities. I couldn't blame them. We were in our early twenties. Who wanted to be tied down at this point in their life?

Needless to say, crying over my exes was the last thing I ever did. It wasn't like they stuck around long enough for me to get attached anyways, so the breakups were always painless.

Since then, it's been a year of living the single life. And I couldn't be more content.

Harry wanted to hang out today. I knew that it was the farthest from a date. But I would still be having an interaction with a man that I didn't work with and wasn't related to-which was rare these days-so I was definitely excited.

I grabbed Aiden's phone, resting it beside him on his bed.

"Call me if you need anything. Here's your water and some snacks if you get hung-"

"Yeah, yeah." He huffed. "I got it."

"And I'm on speed-dial so don't worry. I'll leave my ringer on even if you text."

He grew silent for a moment, face draining of any previous happiness that he displayed. His expression was empty; cheeks sunken in, eyes surrounded by dark circles, skin ashen and lips dry. Aiden was just a ghost of the vibrant boy that he used to be years ago.

"When are you going to stop doing this?" He asked, keeping his gaze away from me.

"Doing what?"

"Caring." He pressed his lips into a thin line. "It's a lost cause, Mia. You're better off packing up and leaving me behind-leaving the whole family behind. You're better off moving on with your life."

I frowned. "But this is my life. You are my life. Dad is my life. My family is my life." He scoffed, grimacing at the words that came out of my mouth. "I don't give up. We don't give up."

I knew that he was tired of me saying that. But I wouldn't stop telling him until he was six feet under. It was never too late. It was never too late for him to begin to care, or for my dad to finally get his shit together. It was never too late for my mom to come to her senses and return to us. Maybe that was just the optimist in me-but I refused to give up on them. Even if my dad was knee deep in his own puke, or if Aiden became too weak to feed his own body, I couldn't give up.

I refused to believe that this wasn't worth fixing.

"I'm on speed-dial." I reminded him, my voice becoming stern. "Just a phone call away, Aiden."

He didn't say anything this time, simply staring at his T.V. I figured that I wouldn't get a response out of him anytime soon, so I stood to my feet, reluctantly walking out of his room and leaving him to his own thoughts.

My dad was in the kitchen eating left over eggs and pancakes that I made earlier that morning. He kissed my temple when I passed him, looking completely spent. I chalked it up to the lingering smell of bourbon on his breath.

"I heard my pretty lady is going out today." He spoke, voice gruff. He managed to smile at me, despite the hangover that I'm sure he was feeling.

I returned the gesture, squeezing his shoulders before loading the dishwasher. "Yes, I am."

"With a boy?"

"Yes."

"Is he nice?"

My cheeks began to burn. "The nicest person I know."

Dad nodded smugly. "That says a lot coming from you. He must be great."

"He is."

Once the kitchen was clean, I informed him about Aiden's schedule. I showed him the exact list of things Aiden should do, including the exercises that his doctor encouraged. This was something I had discussed with my Dad numerous times. But I was too nuerotic to rely on his memory alone, especially since he had the mind of a drunk. Going through Aiden's schedule and meal plan was necessary, even if I had to repeat myself for the 'nth time.

"Yes, yes. I know, this isn't my first rodeo." Dad grumbled, bumbling his shoulder with mine. "You just go and live life for today. Stop worrying so much."

"I always worry." I sighed. "Oh! Did you pay the utilities?"

That's when he froze. "Uh oh."

"Dad!" My shoulders deflated.

"I'm so sorry, kiddo. I for-"

I sighed, rubbing my palm against my forehead. "Yeah, I figured."

He grimaced, shifting his weight uneasily. "When was it due?"

"It's not due for another week. It's fine. That's why I always have you pay in advance. Incase you forget again." I was walking to the front door, looking for my combat boots due to the weather today. "Look, dad. Don't worry about it. I'll handle it. I'll pay it Monday on the way to work. Just relax." I waved him off, slipping on my jacket.

He hovered reluctantly, expression ridden with guilt. "I'm sorry. I-"

"It's fine." I gave him a small smile, trying to push away my agitation. I couldn't let this ruin my day. "Just rest. Call me if you need anything. Love you."

Before he could say anything else, I kissed him on the cheek, grabbing my purse before turning around and walking out the door.