Chapter Forty Seven | Conversations At Ungodly Hours

Harry did not lie when he promised to call me.

It was bright and early when I was woken up by the sound of my phone. My eyelids were heavy, and my head was already throbbing, because I hadn't managed to fall asleep until late into the night.

But when I saw his contact name pop up, I immediately sat up from my bed, swiping the answer icon and bringing my phone to my ear.

"You're home?" Was the first words I uttered.

I heard his laugh. "Were you already up? The phone barely rang, Mia."

"No I was asleep," I answered honestly. "But it's okay. You're home? You're safe?"

"Yes to both."

He sounded happy, which made me somewhat happy.

"That's good, Harry."

He hummed in agreement. "I miss you already."

"I miss you too."

"I'll be back before you know it. I promise."

"Don't rush on my behalf."

I noticed that it sounded eerily quiet where he was. I don't know what I expected, I guess I was hoping for him to be welcomed home by a boisterous party with his friends.

"Facetime me?" I heard him ask, interrupting my thoughts.

I was quick to answer, too eager to see his face again.

He smiled. "Your hair's a mess."

That caused me to laugh, because it was, indeed, a mess. I didn't tie it up before I fell asleep, so now it looked like a haystack. "Ah, yeah. Attractive, isn't it?"

"Very." He giggled, showing me an award-winning smile. I repositioned my phone more comfortably so I could lay back down.

"Could pass for a bird's nest."

He laughed harder. "Still an angel."

I blushed, wishing that he was here in this moment.

I rubbed my lips together as I watched him absentmindedly. For the rest of the conversation, we shared idle chatter. There wasn't anything that we said in particular. Even the drags of silence were comforting. I simply enjoyed listening to him breathe and seeing his face.

He showed me his home, pointing to all his decor happily and even hinting for me to see it in the future. Soon enough, three lengthy hours had passed.

"You're fighting your sleep." He said, after telling me a childhood story. "How long did you rest last night?"

"Long enough."

"Don't believe you." He frowned slightly. "Go back to sleep, angel. I'll talk to you later."

I wanted to object, but I'm pretty sure he had meetings to attend. So I nodded reluctantly, drinking in his face one more time before he ended the call.

I was nestling under my covers, inhaling my pillows that still lingered of Harry, when my doorbell sounded. I groaned, squeezing my eyes shut.

Whoever was at the door could wait. Harry was the only person that was worth getting up at the crack of dawn for.

But then the doorbell sounded three more times. Obviously, whoever needed to talk to me was persistent.

I sighed, slipping out of bed groggily. The cold air hit my bare legs as I blindly walked towards my closet, finding the first pair of leggings I laid my eyes on. Once I finally made it to the door, I could hear incessant knocks, which caused an irritation to rise within me.

I peered through the peephole, exhaling loudly as a curse escaped my mouth.

Shit.

I swung the door open, meeting the identical pair of brown eyes that was waiting impatiently.

"Why didn't you tell me that Rob kicked you out?"

I winced at her loud exclaim, side-stepping to let her inside. "Well, hello to you too, Mother."