Chapter Eighteen | An Unexpected Meeting

I knew that Harry was in the city but I didn't know that I had a chance of running into him.

New York was diverse, overpopulated and busy. I lived in the rural parts and enjoyed being able to hear my own thoughts for once. But that didn't stop me from going into the city every once and a while, especially since my dance studio was quite close to it.

Today was the day that I was supposed to have dinner with my students. They voted last week on their favorite restaurant so we were able to make reservations in advance. It was a bonding opportunity, a gift from me to them for working so hard.

I was wearing a maroon dress and a pair of my favorite black low heels. My stomach was growling due to the smell of food wafting in the air. My table was still waiting for their orders to be done so I was currently feigning off my hunger with water and bread sticks.

I didn't realize how close we were to Harry until some of my students noticed.

Fiona tapped my hand, eyes wide as she pointed to a table on the other side of the restaurant-the VIP section. "Isn't that Harry Styles?"

I squinted in the direction she was pointing at, not able to make out the famous rockstar due to how many people were over there. "I'm not sure."

"What do you mean you're not sure? You're literally friends with him!"

"I wouldn't necessarily call us friends, but...."

Fiona was trying to keep her cool but I could tell that her 14 year-old-body could only take so much excitement before fangirling. "That's actually Harry Styles!" She breathed. "Someone shoot me."

I winced at her words, suddenly thrown back into the chaos of that night.

It was hard not to be sensitive to any subject involving a gun. It was hard trying to fight the tears that I felt every time I was reminded of that night. I liked to believe that I was strong. But lately, I had been hearing certain comments that reminded me how powerful fear could be.

Before I knew it, my students were erupting into whispers. Most of them either held expressions of shock or disbelief, looking over in the direction of the table that supposedly hosted Harry Styles.

It wasn't that I didn't believe them. It was just that this restaurant was crowded, and if Harry truly was at that table, then he was already occupied by the other people he was sitting with. I didn't want to entertain the thought of disrupting his peace.

But as time grew on, I found myself glancing in that direction more frequently, because it seemed to be attracting more people.

There was a moment where I even spied a mop of curls and tatted arms. Most of the people that interrupted his dinner were girls, and they would go rushing back to their tables after a few minutes, eyes wide with silly grins.

When people began to disperse, I got a clear view of him, and it caused my breath to hitch.

It was Harry.

He had gotten a hair cut-that was the first thing I noticed. It was styled in a fade, curls shorter and much healthier than before. His tan was almost gone now, due to autumn approaching, and he was cleanly shaven. I preferred his long luscious curls and stubble look. But he was just as handsome now as he was before.

He seemed happy. There was a glow about him that radiated all the way to where I was seated. His emerald eyes twinkled as he laughed, dimples as deep as craters and ruby lips pulled into a cheeky smile.

He was wearing a black T-shirt, a pair of dark-wash jeans and old white vans. It was odd to see him dressed in such a way. He had adopted a very loud fashion persona: frilly sweaters, flared trousers, shimmery button ups, etc. There were a few times where I even saw him rocking suspenders, which probably wouldn't look as good on anyone else but Harry.

However, now, he was completely dressed down. Which was a rarity for him-at least in public it was.

It was ironic how this restaurant met Harry's standards for causal attire. Yet here I was, fully decked out in my best clothing, because it was just that expensive for me.

"I told you," Fiona beamed, sending me a look of triumph. "It is him! Did you tell him you'd be here?"

All of my students turned to look at me, expressions filled with hope.

"No." I stammered, taken aback by the question. "I didn't even know he was in town."

"Well, you know now." Jenna butted in, letting out a giggle. "Do you think we can go say hi?"

A handful of my students were itching to approach him. I was tempted to do the same, but I told them no.

He looked happy. And it wasn't like he hadn't constantly been interrupted by everyone else at the restaurant.

My students were very adamant about trying to change my mind. There was a part of me that wanted to give into them, but I cringed at the idea of taking an entire group of teenagers with me to his table.

Wasn't that a bit overboard? Didn't he deserve time to himself? Time in which him and his friends should be able to enjoy dinner without interruptions.

"This is torture," Jenna grumbled. "He's literally right there and we can't even go and say hi."

I wet my lips, sending her a level look. "People like Harry are just as human as the rest of us. And they deserve privacy." Her frown deepened as I spoke. "Maybe one day I'll ask him to visit you guys' lessons. But for now, just let the poor guy eat in peace, okay?"

"Really?" Jenna asked, eyes widening.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I'd have the courage to ask Harry to do such a thing. But if he were to ever meet my students, it seemed more appropriate for him to do so at one of their lessons-on his own terms-than to bombard him during one of his nights out.

"Maybe." I confirmed.

But in my students ears, that was a definite 'yes', causing them to squeal in excitement.