Chapter Thirty Nine | A Stern Reprimmanding

"I hate him." Alice snarled.

I winced. "Alice..."

"I hate him so much."

"He's my dad."

Her eyes widened as she turned to me. "So? He's a terrible person, Mia."

"He was drunk."

Silence lingered in the air as she stared at me incredulously. "Okay, let's think about this for a moment. Even if his behavior was acceptable-which it isn't, I don't care if he was drunk or not-but even if it was, it's still been days and he has yet to apologize."

I chewed on my lip, shrugging lazily. "Maybe in time he'll come around."

"...And he threw you out on the street, Mia. After all that you've done for him; putting him through rehab, paying off the mortgage and his AA meetings, being there for him 24/7." She began pacing the room, becoming even angrier as time went on. "You're his daughter, for Christ's sakes. That should be reason within itself to be a good enough father to you."

It had been two days since my dad kicked me out. At first, I thought he would change his mind once he sobered up and realized his mistake. But I couldn't have been more wrong.

He was completely serious.

Alice was letting me stay at her apartment for the time being. But I knew that I had to start looking for a permanent residence soon, especially since I was wearing away her couch.

"This is unbelievable. I'm going to kill him." She seethed, pulling me out of my thoughts. "What a heartless bastard."

"He's been through a lot, Alice." I sighed. "He needs some healing. Som-"

"And I'll be damned if I have to keep hearing you defend him. Just because you share his blood doesn't give him any right to mistreat you. He's dead to you now, Mia, do you understand that? As your bestfriend, I can't keep allowing you to become a doormat to your toxic ass family. You deserve better."

I knew that she was right. But like everything else in the world, it was easier said than done. Sure I was hurt and confused, and angry. But I still loved my dad and I still wanted to help him. He didn't need to get chewed out by me. He needed to be admitted into a clinic.

"You gotta step back for once, alright?" Alice looked at me sternly. "They'll realize their mistake eventually. It's time to live your life without those fuckers."

I winced at her vulgarity but didn't say anything more.

"Wait until Harry gets a load of this," She grimaced, chuckling bitterly. Her features morphed into pure rage.

I wasn't surprised by Alices' reaction. She didn't like her loved ones being mistreated. This was a prime example of a woman scorned.

"Don't tell him," I groaned. "This is embarrassing."

"He's going to kill Rob and you know it." She added, ignoring me. "Hope your dad has health insurance."

"Alice!" I exclaimed.

She raised her eyebrows. "Am I right or am I right?"