Chapter Thirty | Stay

I pulled into the parking lot with nerves so intense, I could puke.

I was feeling a plethora of emotions: anxiety, impatience, joy.

It was a feeling that I was starting to connect with Harry; something that I only felt whenever I was dancing.

I was happy to be seeing him again. I knew that he would be leaving soon since he had to continue with his tour. It made everything feel bittersweet, because I didn't want him to leave town. Once that happened, it would be like I never met him-like we hadn't become friends.

Soon, I would have to go back to life before him and even though there wasn't anything wrong with it, I still preferred to exist with him by my side. As cliché and utterly soppy as that may sound, my life was better when Harry was in it.

Quickly, I slipped out of my car, trying not to wince on the amount of pressure that I put on my injured leg. I got my brace off yesterday, which was great, but my doctor still advised me to ice and rest it when necessary. He even gave me athletic tape to bind my hip and knee on the days I would be extremely active. I guess I should have heeded his warning, because my leg was incredibly sore today. I made a side note to take a warm bath once I got home.

I hurried across the parking lot, attempting to get out of the nippy weather as fast as I could. Once inside of the bakery, I spotted Harry, who was sitting at the same table from last week.

Quickly, I made my way over to him, trying to hide the way that my heart rate sped up. Seeing him was definitely the highlight of my morning.

He was wearing a mint green jumper today, which was knitted and rolled up to his elbows.

"Hello Harry!" I greeted, once I reached him.

His breath hitched, eyes widening as he jumped in his chair. "Don't scare me like that. You nearly gave me a heart attack, Mia."

"Sorry." I giggled at his frazzled state. Then, "Look at this bad boy." I stood up, gesturing towards my right leg. "I finally got my brace off!"

"I see. Look at you," He praised. "How do you feel?"

"Liberated."

"You can climb staircases now."

"I know right. No more elevators. Thank God."

He laughed, eyes crinkling and Adams-Apple bobbing. The sound was beautiful.

"Works pretty well, doesn't it?" I smirked, bending my leg.

Harry suppressed a giggle, observing me with adoration as I repeated the action. I probably looked silly, especially in the eyes of the elderly customers that surrounded us.

I could have sworn I saw one frail old lady stop, shaking her head with a frown as she mumbled, "...Stupid millennials."

But I didn't bother to say anything to her. Boomers weren't worth my time of day.

"Sit down, silly." Harry whispered. "I'm pretty sure you're freaking the old people out."

I flopped down in my seat dramatically, heaving a sigh. Then I reached into my purse, pulling out an faded piece of paper. It was slightly ripped and folded, but I placed it in front of him nonetheless, deciding to do it while I had the courage.