Your best friends cousin

Y/n's POV

It wasn't my intention. In fact me and my best friend made a promise to each other that family was completely off limits. But that was before she introduced me to her cousin. Hailee intrigued me from day one. The way her mind worked to her kindnesses. Everything she did made me fall for her more and more. To my surprise she felt the same. She confessed her feelings on Trues 21st birthday to me. Since then we started dating without telling anyone. We would text, call and FaceTime each other, Hailee would visit me when she was back in California or would fly me out to see her wherever she was at the moment. The sneaking around was great at first but almost 3 years later it was getting harder and harder keeping my happiness to myself especially when I was around my best friend. True and I knew each other since we were four. We would tell each other everything. She is always the first person I go to. But since Hailee and I started dating it wasn't going well between me and her. She knew I had something going on and the more time passed the more impatient and mad she got. We had some arguments about it and I realized continuing like that would make me lose Hailee or True. Worst case both. So Hailee and I made the decision to tell everybody on her birthday.

Dinner was going well and was delicious as always. Cheri is an amazing cook. It was time for Hailee to open her presents and everybody gathered around in the living room. "So, uhm hey you all. Thank you for coming and celebrating my birthday with me. It means a lot to me. Beforehand thank you for the presents", she said and some laughed. Her eyes searched mine and I gave her a reassuring nod. "Uh I have something to tell you. And I feel like it is the right time to do that. Y/n", she talked and I walked over to her. She took my hand and I smiled. "Y/n and I have been dating since three years. And before you all say something. It has been the happiest three years of my life. Honestly, Y/n makes me happy and feel confident and beautiful. She treats me with respect. We haven't told you because we didn't know how you would react", Hailee told them. Everybody looked at us with their mouth open. I was starting to get nervous. I looked at True. "Is this a joke", she asked. "No, I love Y/n and she loves me", Hailee responded. "B-But you promised... why didn't you tell me", True stuttered. "I was scared. We promised each other that family was off limit a-and I was afraid to lose you", I told her. "So you decided lying to me was better", she started raising her voice. Tears were falling from my eyes. I knew this could be the end of mine and True's friendship. "I'm sorry", I whispered looking down. "Sorry my ass! You both lied to me, to everybody", True yelled. "True, please", Hailee said. "I-I need some fresh air", my best friend said walking out. I felt arms around me and Hailee's perfume filled my nose. I started crying. "She hates me", I said in her hoodie. "No, she is just overwhelmed", Hailee whispered in my ear. "You should have told us earlier. We are your family. Oh my babies", Cheri said and rushed towards us. "I'm sorry, mum", Hailee told her. "I know. Come here", she talked. "Group hug", Jake yelled. I felt a lot of people squeezing us and I chuckled. At least not the whole Steinfeld family hated my ass. They broke the hug and started questioning us. True still hasn't come back and I sighed. "I'm looking for her", I whispered in Hailee's ear. She nodded giving my hand a squeeze. I made my way outside seeing my best friend sitting in one of the chairs. I sat next to her. None of us was talking. I was too afraid she wouldn't accept it and I would lose her. But I decided to break the awkward silence. "I'm really sorry, True. I should have told you. I just... I don't know. It just happened and then we were so deep in... I didn't know how to tell you without hurting you. You are my best friend since we were kids and I don't want to lose you", I talked to her. She sighed. "Well, but lying to me was working", she asked. "No. It was so hard keeping this from you. I wish I did tell you. Hailee and I weren't even sure if this was a good idea since we all know each other for so long and I'm a friend of the family. But I knew I couldn't keep lying to you, to everybody. I didn't want to decide between you or Hailee and I still don't want to. Please True, I love her and I love you, not in a romantic way but in a "I need my best friend for the rest of my life and beyond" way", I said. She chuckled. "Good because I need my best friend for the rest of my life and beyond that, too", she spoke. I smiled. "Come here, you idiot", she said and spread her arms wide. I jumped into her embrace. "I'm sorry", I mumbled. "Apology accepted", She whispered. "But one thing! Don't tell me stuff about your sex life. I love you and Hailee but this is really something I rather not want to know about my cousin", she told me. I laughed. "Aww man", I whined jokingly. She put her arm around my shoulder. "Should we prank everyone", she asked smirking. I grinned nodding. "I don't fucking care, Y/n! You stupid liar. I gave you everything and you go behind my back fucking my cousin", True yelled. "True, I already told you I'm sorry. How often do I have to tell you", I yelled back. I heard people shuffling and saw some coming towards us. "Sorry won't help us here. You betrayed me, our friendship. I can't believe I trusted you", True screamed. "And I can't believe you are making a big scene out of it! I thought you support me", I told her. "Not if you can't keep your gay fingers from my family", she yelled. „Gay fingers?! Are you homophobic", I asked her angry. „Don't turn this on me now, Y/n! I'm not the one fucking your cousin for three years", True argued. „Oh my god! What's your problem", I yelled back. „We said family is off limits! Who is next my other female cousins", she asked. "So you calling me a whore now", I told her. "That's enough", Hailee yelled suddenly. "What the hell is your problem. Stop. You are best friends for god's sake", she said to us. "Not anymore. Not after this", True told her. "Well, if you are not her friend I'm not your cousin anymore. I choose her over you anytime", Hailee spoke. "You can't be serious", True yelled. "I'm dead serious. I can't believe you. What kind of person are you", she asked her cousin. "Hailee, please stop. I-I should just go. Maybe True is right", I said quietly. "No, you are staying. If she wants it or not. She is not deciding who I want to love or not. It's my life no one else's", Hailee spoke taking my hand. I looked up trying to keep it together but failed. Soon True joined me and were laughing so hard I started crying. "They totally bought that", True said through laughter. I nodded. "Y-You... what's going on", Hailee mumbled confused. "We decided to have a little fun with you. Everything is alright, little cousin", True told her and put an arm around the taller brunette. "So you are good", she asked unsure. I nodded smiling. "Damn, we deserve an Oscar", True said and we laughed. "The only thing you deserve is some ass whooping", her mum said and we were quiet while everybody laughed at us. Hailee took my hand. „Good because deciding between two of my favorite people in my life would have been hella hard", she said. "Oh yeah, I heard that, Steinfeld", True spoke sarcastically. Hailee blushed. "Sorry", she mumbled. "Nah, it's alright. I'm happy for you two. You deserve it. You are perfect for each other", my best friend told us. I smiled up at Hailee. She kissed my head. Everybody went inside. Hailee unwrapped her presents and everything was going smoothly as always except that were no secrets involved.