Save Yourself part 16

~GAMZEE POV~

I'm running towards the south entrance cause I heard a few screams. Dave is running a long side of me. We reach the door, slamming it open. Seeing Sky and Summer, fighting off a herd of zombies. I freeze up.. I stay still until Dave hits me, everything is fuzzy and glowing now. I can't hear anything but distraught screams. I'm shooting zombie after zombie, but then Sky screeches. She's been bit. Everything is happening so fast. I keep shooting zombies for about 20 minutes until we finally get Sky and Summer inside. Sky was bit on the leg and Summer on her shoulder. I feel the same as the night I met the group of guys who beat Karkat and I up.. I touch my scars and face and I'm crying. Sky will never have a chance to grow up. She's sobbing and so am I. I hug her and she whispers something in my ear.

"Bye uncle Gamzee.. I love you.." Dave picks her up, drowning her and Summer in kisses. Suddenly Summer walks up to me. She hugs me and whispers something.

"Take care.. I love you clown face... Take care of my daughter..." I crumble. I start shaking and crying like some horrible nightmare.... Dave looks shitty and he knows what he has to do.. They begin to head to the roof. I let out a scream. I just lost my fucking best friend... the mother of my daughter... I lost everything now.. I lost my niece.. I can't handle this... I pound on the floor until Karkat comes in the cart with Dakota, yelling that he needs to know what happened.. I tell him through sobs.. He grabs Dakota and we cuddle with her while crying. We've lost almost everything. I wish we had the drama instead of this horrible terror.
Boom

Suddenly one shot goes off. I sob harder and harder into Karkat..
Boom

Another shot... I cry until I feel like throwing up now. They're up at home now.. Dave comes down, crying, with blood on him. He has the eyes of a slaughtered lamb.. Puffy, red, wet. Pain. The most painful look I have ever seen. Everything happened so fast... I told Summer to rest... she refused.. she took Sky along with her to show her around... But they're gone now.. I should have forced them to stay in.. I can feel my heart sink as Dave stares at Dakota.

"This is the only part of my wife I have left..." he kisses Dakota on the head and runs off to God knows where. What a nightmare... what will god take from me now?!?

  I lay across the mattress room from Karkat. Dave on the top right corner while I'm on the bottom left, Karkat on the bottom right. Dakota is asleep in a crib that I set up next to me. I sit up as the other three sleep. I stare at Dakota. Her dark brown tufts of hair glisten under the small mobil lights. I smile and began to cry silently. She's going to grow up good and strong.. No matter what happens, I'll pull us all through, even if I need to drag everyone. Dakota began fussing her in her sleep, snapping me back to consciousness. I pick her up and start rocking her back to sleep. My little angel and reminder.

  ~KARKAT POV~

  I am lying awake, listening to Gam rock Dakota to sleep and cry. It's the saddest sound I've ever heard. I tear up and bite my lip until a warm thick liquid streams down the side of my face. I'm going to wait until Gamzee goes back to sleep..

  Finally after 30 minutes he's asleep with Dakota on his chest. I get up, putting my sweats on with. Thick sweater and holding my gun. I walk towards to roof. I walk up the 3 flights of stairs since we're on the first floor. I see a large rusty metal door. I open it and all the warm air hits me. I didn't realize I woke up so early. I'm guessing it's almost 7 AM since the sun is rising. First few days of summer... Summer.. Summer and Sky. I'm going to miss them.. Sky was my niece. Summer, a great friend. A best friend. A mother. A sister. An imperfectly perfect idiot. I sit on the edge of the roof and smile. Looking up, the sky looks almost heaven like.

I wonder.. What will Dakota be like? Will she look like my lover? Or my best friend? How can I raise her in this kind of world? A worls full of zombies and death. No sanctuary. No peace. I sigh and shiver. Even though the air is warm. My soul is cold, chilling me from bones to muscle to skin. I hear the metal door open and I hear footsteps come towards me.

"Why are you awake?" I can hear Dave say as he joins me on the edge.

"Couldn't sleep."

"I get that.." he sips a bottle of apple juice and hands me a bottle of my own. I open it and drink some.

"I can't believe they're gone.." I whisper

"Well you still have your lover and your daughter. I've lost everything at this point. Cheer up. If we're going to survive, then you've gotta pull through. For me, Gamzee and Dakota." Dave gets up. "Maybe life will be easier without me..." he walks back inside. What will happen to us.. Our lives are coming and crumbling down..