🍰【t w o】🍰

"Cake time!" Jeno exclaimed as he crawled excitedly off the bed, all the embarrassment gone as he began to head downstairs

"Cake time!" Jeno exclaimed as he crawled excitedly off the bed, all the embarrassment gone as he began to head downstairs. Jaemin smiled sadly, a bit off-put that the older hadn't responded to him. But never the less he got up, following the boy but going much slower.

Once downstairs he saw Jeno getting himself back on the counter. The sweet smell of cake that hung in the air and the setting sun outside made the atmosphere in the kitchen very nice. He walked over to the oven, opening it and letting the smell of freshly baked cake waft out, filling the house with the sweet smell.

With his oven mitts on, he pulled the cake out, carefully setting it on a cooling rack he had set out earlier. He then threw off the oven mitts and looked at Jeno with a smile.

The older was staring at the cake with awestruck wonder as he unconsciously licked his lips. Jaemin made the best strawberry cake and he loved it.

Jaemin smiled at the hungry look in Jeno's eyes.

"Can we eat it!" Jeno asked excitedly as he hopped off the counter and walked towards the island where the cake was.

"Not yet Jeno. Remember, it has to cool first, okay?" Jeno pouted and nodded. He looked up at Jaemin.

"Well, what do we do now?" Jeno asked his eyes like a begging puppy.

"I was thinking.. What if you went up and played with your toys for a bit while I took care of some serious stuff, hmm?" Jaemin hummed. Jeno nodded obediently before heading upstairs. The younger smiled as he went, trying not to squeal at how cute Jeno was.

After he had gone upstairs to play, Jaemin walked over to one of the other counters, opening one of the drawers and grabbing out a small pile of envelopes and papers.

He sighed.

His parents used to always come back at least once a month to pay the bills and restock the pantry. But the last time they were home was April. It had been nine months since there had been new food in the house, that being one reason why he made the cake.

He didn't want Jeno to worry.

That and they somehow still had the ingredients for it for whatever reason.

"I need to get a job.." He muttered, running a hand through his hair as he looked through the papers. Set money amounts that they needed to pay for electricity, water, heating, and cooling. It was a miracle that someone hadn't come to kick them out of the house.

"Why do you need to get a job Nana?" Jaemin was startled from his thoughts by Jeno's soft voice. He felt him rest his head on his shoulder and felt the olders arms snake around his waist. His heart quickened a bit at the action.

"N-nothing... It's nothing. What did you need?" Jaemin asked, shoving the papers back into the drawer and slowly removing Jeno's hands from around his waist. He turned to see a pouting Jeno, doe eyes sad and a bit watery.

"I wanted hyung to play with me.." He muttered, hugging the younger again even though Jaemin had just removed him.

"Alright alright. Let's go then." Jeno pulled away and smiled widely, his eyes turning to crescents as he held Jaemin's hand and lead the younger to his room.

Once in the room, Jaemin sat down on the floor and waited for Jeno to pick out a toy for them to play with.
But instead, the older grabbed the stuffed cat that was on the floor beside his bed and walked over to Jaemin before crawling into the youngers lap.

Jaemin looked down at him, a bit confused, but definitely not upset by Jeno's actions.

"Is there something wrong Jeno?" He asked, a little worried. Jeno shook his head and faced his back to Jaemin, who wrapped his arms around the boy's torso. The older reached down and played with Jaemin's hands in his lap.

"No... I just missed you while you were downstairs..." Jeno mumbled, a bit embarrassed. The pink-haired boy smiled and moved his head to watch the older play with his fingers. It was adorable to see and a pleasant sight to Jaemin: the boy he cared about more than anything right where he belonged.

"Nana.." Jeno said softly. Jaemin felt hope flare in his chest.

"Yes, Nono?"

Jeno paused, hesitating.

"Is the cake ready yet?" Jeno said. Jaemin felt disappointment flood his senses.

That wasn't what he wanted to hear.

Regardless, he nodded.

"I bet it is." He said. Jeno got up excitedly and, still clutching the soft stuffed cat, ran downstairs.

← t b c →