🍰【f o u r t e e n】🍰

Haechan sat timidly in the dining room chair while Jaemin watched him expectantly

"So," Jaemin began, "care to explain what the fuck is going on here?" Jeno was upstairs resting in Jaemin's bed still since he said he didn't feel well.

Deep down, Haechan knew it was probably because of him.

"Renjun isn't who you think.." Haechan said, choosing his words carefully.

"No shit." Jaemin said, clearly not satisfied with what little had been said.

"I'm not finished. He's a good person, he was just persuaded and coached by the wrong person.." Haechan took a deep breath.

"His name is Mark Lee. He's a wealthy man and he has these dark, twisted experiments that he needs someone with Jeno's mental state for." Jaemin felt a pit of fear grow in his stomach.

Mark.

He and Mark were good friends...

But in the end, it was all to get to Jeno.

"Renjun was in debt, he owed over ten million dollars to Mark.."

"Why? How in the world did he have that much money that he owed?" Haechan looked up at Jaemin who was standing with his arms crossed.

"Well, Renjun's family wasn't doing the best... His father died in a car accident a long time ago and his mother got horribly sick with an illness they knew nothing about. They offered possible solutions and cures but all of that combined with the already existing medical bills was too much for Renjun to pay on his own. So Mark made him a deal."

"Mark told Renjun that he would pay for all of the medication and surgeries necessary at a hefty price. Renjun accepted out of desperation, willing to do anything for his mother's sake. She was all he had left.." Haechan wiped away a couple of tears and continued.

"Renjun's mother didn't make it. None of the medications worked and all of the surgeries failed, eventually one leading to her heart stopping while they were performing the surgery.." Jaemin frowned.

"Mark knew the whole time, didn't he? He knew it wouldn't work.. It was all planned."

Haechan nodded.

"Mark knew it would put Renjun in a position where he had no other option-"

"Then to make another deal.." Jaemin finished. He slumped into the chair beside Haechan and sighed. "So none of this was Renjun's fault... It was just his attempt to pay his debt. What about you? How were you pulled into all of it?" Haechan sighed.

"I've been dating Renjun since before his mother passed and the three of us had gotten very close before she died. She was so proud of Renjun for finding someone who would make him happy.. That's all I wanted to do. He told me paying this debt off would make him happy again. But when I learned that this was the extent he was willing to go to I wanted no part..." Jaemin nodded slowly, understanding what Haechan was saying.

"I'm so sorry Jaemin, I-I wish I had known.. I would've warned you! I would've-"

"Haechan, I don't blame you for any of this. We just need to figure out how in the world we are going to save Jeno.." Haechan nodded his agreement and wiped away the tears in his eyes.

"What do you mean save me?" The two turned to see Jeno in the doorway, rubbing his eyes sleepily while he clutched the toy rabbit Jaemin had given him last night.

Haechan froze. He was scared to move. Scared to breathe, scared to talk. He didn't want to scare Jeno away.

Jeno tilted his head with a pout and walked over to Haechan slowly. He sat down in Haechan's lap and hugged him tightly.

"Thank you for last night Haechanie.. You helped me a lot." Jeno said, letting tears fall from his eyes as he spoke. Haechan hugged him back tightly.

"Jeno I'm sorry... I'm so sorry I should've stopped him when I found out what he was doing I-"

"Haechanie I forgive you... You saved me.." Haechan smiled sadly.

He had saved Jeno.

Again.

"Jeno baby could you go back upstairs for a bit longer? Me and uncle Hyuckie are almost done talking okay? Then I'll come up and talk to you." Jeno nodded and got off of Haechan's lap before running back upstairs.

Haechan sighed.

"Jaemin, I think it's time you knew what happened to make Jeno the way he is..."

Jaemin's eyes widened.

"You mean-"

"Yes, I was there...

Renjun's debt was almost paid off at the time...
But I ruined it all...

For Jeno."

← t b c →