XXIII • I'LL REMEMBER

twenty-three. i'll remember

Devon Residence, Grove Hill

Cassandra Devon has been staying at the comfortable house for four months now since the tragic demise of her one and only daughter, Minerva. Fortunately for her, she still has a relative - her nephew who has a long history on the reason why he returned back to her life as a vampire. Born in Mystic Falls with only a three-years age gap difference from his maternal cousin, Isaac has been through almost everything since their graduation.

Isaac parted with Cassie, Tristan and Minerva when he was only ten; when his father, Louis King, moved them both to Grove Hill. Louis left him due to his critical work as a stock market trader in London, when Isaac was only a sixteen-year-old sophomore in Ravenwood Academy, so Isaac has been independently capable of living by himself. He first found out and became more alert about the supernatural world in his junior year of high school, when his own friend, Joey, was turned into a vampire and accidentally fed on Isaac's first-ever girlfriend, who he was with since sophomore year.

The spacious kitchen is filled with loud music in the air and the smell of fresh coffee for two comes from the two hot mugs of it sitting on the table, set by Isaac. Cassie comes in, smiling at the sight of her one and only genuinely sweet nephew slathering a piece of hot toast with butter which she mentioned, "You know I'm perfectly capable of all this, right?"

"Good morning to you too, Cass." Isaac takes a bite out of the buttered toast and smiles at her, who only scoffs and takes her seat across from him.

"Well. It's not exactly good if it's the end of summer, is it? I know it's not."

"I'm thrilled. But I'm thinking, you're implying that something is missing. Oh wait. Did I say something? What I meant to say was someone." Oops.

Cassie gives him a 'Don't start' look, "It means I get to work again."

"Hey, that's great! You love working, right? Amongst old friends."

"Don't pretend you're just thrilled because you only want to see Caroline."

"Good guess, but I'm still trying to convince her to come back to Whitmore, so we can be colleagues together, and I can compel myself a single now."

His beloved maternal aunt scoffs, "Right, now that you're a senior."

"Yep, I'm only in it for the dorms and the free food." The man grins.

"And Caroline?"

"Exactly. I did not regret one bit on staying on track." He winks cheesily.

"Yeah, try not to feed on anyone while you're here." She reminded him.

"I have it all under control, Cass, not to worry."

"Of course, you keep your own unlimited stock of blood bags."