XXXII • WOKE UP WITH A MONSTER

thirty-two. woke up with a monster

Mystic Grill Restaurant

Rosie slowly regains consciousness, hearing Kai talk, "See, we never went out to dinner when I was a kid, so, I always had this fascination with chefs and fine dining. Dad actually let me cook...Taught me to measure by eye. Seasonings to taste, all that stuff, but it's different now in the restaurant world. Everything's on time. It's like, the fries go in, you push a button, it dings and you take 'em out. Literally no guess work. It's impressive."

The old hybrid's hands are tightly restrained with rope, "Why am I here?"

"Uh, well I spent eighteen years in abandoned restaurants and now I'm showing off the fruits of my labor. Duh." The siphoner starts eating his eggs.

The caramel brunette groans lowly, "I don't mean the Mystic Grill."

"Oh, you mean like, here here, in Mystic Falls." The forty-year-old man laughs slightly, "Sorry, I'm nervous. You're like, prettier than usual."

The annoyed one rolls her big doe eyes, "You've been checking up on me?" Considering she's literally Minerva Devon's doppelgänger, exact look-alike.

"Uh, yeah? Isn't that what friends do?" The sociopath casually replied.

The puzzled girl frowns as she contemplates his words, "Friends? When did I ever--" She sighs in a tired realization, "You think I'm Minerva." Typical.

Kai stops chewing his scrambled eggs as he raises one of his eyebrows cluelessly by those simple four words, "What are you saying?"

"I'm Rosie. Minerva is my doppelgänger." The Kavanagh doppelgängers.

The young man only stares at her to confirm it, "Huh. Cool and uncool."

The girl uses her vamp-strength to effortlessly free her hands from the rope, "So I suggest you do a background check before you kidnap someone."

Rosie gets up and vamp-speeds over to attack him when she's suddenly struck with a strong stabbing sense of agony to her temple, which makes her grab her head in her two hands and moans loudly in pain; Kai, without getting up from his seat at the end of the long table in front of the fireplace, has his right hand reached out to apply the stolen magic on the vampire.

"Ohh...what an epic fail. I'd rather kill you for sport, but I need you for practice, so be a good girl and take your seat, before I set you on fire."

The pain stops and she gasps in great relief before she goes and sits back in her own chair reluctantly, opposite him at the table, "Why am I here, Kai?"

"Well, I took the spell that was keeping supernaturals out of Mystic Falls and I, I like absorbed it. Like ate it, I guess." The sociopath takes another delectable bite of his scrambled eggs and smiles at her in a cute way, "It's cool, huh? First I eat magic, and then eventually, I lose it. But a huge spell like that? I mean, come on. Magic's oozing out of me, it's all over the place. You know, I didn't quite realize I was out of control until I met the manager of the Grill a few hours ago. And he was all like, 'Hey, you can't come in here; we're closed. And you have an unconscious girl over your shoulder'."