XLI • BECAUSE

forty-one. because

Whitmore Medical Center

Elena has just arrived, on a well-free Saturday, with two warm cups of bought coffee in which she gives one to Jo who is not that surprised, but rather relieved that her loyal vampire intern is present on that day.

"Yours is decaf." Elena stated, "I know what you're going to say: it's a Saturday and I don't have to come here and should just be somewhere else to study or help out with things back home, but I figured, why there when I can be here, helping out on the doctor who's about to have a baby?" She giggles and sips on her own coffee that the doctor rolls her eyes playfully.

"You know me so well, and thank you. But seriously--"

Elena stops her, "Hmm. No buts. I'm helping today and that's final."

Jo hums as the student starts to walk away, "Technically, you're not a certified doctor yet, so I am still holding the authority around here."

Elena laughs, "Well, somebody will have to take your place when it's time."

"Yeah. Another doctor, in a few more months." The woman asserted firmly.

"Technically, vampires are doctors, most of them are more ignorant, that is." The young adult mentioned, earning her a sigh, "I get it. I'm just trying to make you comfortable, and be by your side through all this, because this is going to be my future-- my life, and I'm determined to be just like you."

"Not sure what you see in me besides being a doctor as your role model, Elena, but I'm not anything to be proud of when it comes to family."

"Which family is that, exactly?" The young intern purposely voiced that Jo smiles and Elena assured her, "You'd be a great mom. I promise." Jo holds her belly, slightly thinking about her child's birth, happy but worried at the same time and Elena notices her expression, "What are you thinking?"

"I'm just, I think I have a, a phobia of that one perfect moment-- we're all happy and sunshine all around, and the next moment, the worst scenario can possibly happen, without hesitance." She shakes her head a little.

Elena shakes her head and holds the doctor's arms as she assured her, "There are no one else but friends and family surrounding you. Everything's going to be fine. We, as your vampire friends, will make sure of that."

The pregnant woman lets out a shaky nervous sigh, "I said it before, I'll say it again: the last thing this baby needs is an Uncle Psychopath."

"I thought you kicked him out of your life for good." The vampire retorted, earning her a look, "Listen, I've heard and seen of him. He's truly trying to be better, day by day, just for the sake of his girlfriend's well-being."

"His girlfriend." Jo repeated in initial disbelief.

Elena laughs slightly, "It's insane, I know, but the thing is, he's right. There's good somewhere in him, and he fell in love with somebody who actually believes that the moment she understood who and what he is." She nods.