XXXIII • PRAYER FOR THE DYING

thirty-three. prayer for the dying

 prayer for the dying

Forbes Residence

Caroline wakes up on her big queen-sized bed in her bedroom, hearing some noise from downstairs, and checks the time to see that it's 6:32 A.M. She slowly goes downstairs to see what the noise is; suddenly Colin, the cancer patient, comes up at the main door glass window, "Caroline Forbes."

She gasps and jumps back a little in pure shock, "Oh my God. Colin."

"What the hell did you do to me?"

After a while, Isaac shows up from being called by her over the phone, to which he speed-walks inside through the main door in concern, "Hey."

"Hey. Mom's still sleeping. Don't wake her up." His best friend advised lowly.

The older young man looks down at the now-unconscious cancer patient lying down on the living room's three-seated couch, "What happened?"

"I don't know. H-He was fine when we left him at Duke, remember? He was running around and pain-free and scarfing down all that disgusting vending machine food. A-And now he's the opposite of that." The blonde reported with her arms folded, anxiety clearly plastering itself on her frowning face.

"Yeah? Well, clearly, he's not fine now. Wait. I thought you compelled him to forget everything after you fed him your blood. How did he find you?"

The younger one shrugs anxiously, "I don't know."

"What if this blood isn't even his? Is there any chance that your mom signed the house over to you?" The twenty-two-year-old vampire asked.

"I don't know. Maybe. She's been running around like crazy, saying she need to get her ducks in a row or..."

Isaac opens the thick main floral curtain slowly; Colin's unconscious face starts to burn under the sunlight, "He's a vampire, which means after you fed him your blood..." He trailed off to let his logical best friend finish.

"He died." Caroline looks up at her childhood friend in horror, wide-eyed.

****

Whitmore College

Minerva is walking across the campus courtyard alone with a light pink file on her right arm, closely holding it to her chest, on her way to the dormitory building when she is about to walk past a rushing Elena, who stops her.

"Hey." The younger caramel brunette mentioned, smiling.

"Hey. There you are." The older chestnut brunette returns the smile.

The Devon girl shrugs, "Here I am. What's the rush?"

Her vampire best friend sighs, "I'm late for my volunteer shift at the hospital. I only had a bite of Damon's sandwich earlier. Oh well. But hey--"