XXVII • THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME, THE CLOSER I GET

twenty-seven. the more you ignore me, the closer I get

 the more you ignore me, the closer I get

Tripp's Cabin, Woods

The vengeful vampire captive, Isaac, is sitting on the floor, in which he remains chained up by his pale wrists and ankles, done by his hunter captor, Tripp, thanks to his cousin's vengeful hybrid doppelgänger, Rosie. The door opens and Matt comes in, "Oh, Tripp's errand boy returns. Hey buddy."

Matt laughs sarcastically and walks prudently toward Isaac with a cup of blood, in which he slowly bends down in front of him and purposely spills some of the small amount of human blood onto the floor, "Ooh, my bad."

"Heh. That's alright, man. Just lean in, and I'll take it right from the tap."

The blonde teen hands him the cup, which the vampire drinks, "I'll pass."

"Yeah, come on! I'm going to need my strength back for when you help me escape. That was nothing. Be a friend and lean in." He demanded greedily.

"Sorry. If Rosie turned you in, I'm guessing you deserved it." Matt shrugs guiltily, considering the young vampire remains to be his childhood friend.

"And when did sweet little Rosie's moral compass become the new true north? Wasn't she the one who ran off to some poxy little town with her boyfriend while she let everyone believe they were still searching for Stefan's brother and her doppelgänger? Not exactly the hero move, if you ask me, especially if said doppelgänger is my cousin." Isaac reminded him.

"Still, I think the general population is safer with you in here." Imprisoned.

"Yeah. Probably right. Well except for Caroline, Elena, Stefan, Rosie...you... What do you think would happen if I were to tell your boss about known vampires and their...groupies? Not so safe now, are you?" Isaac smirks.

The heavy door opens, and the nineteen-year-old bus boy turns to see his said hunter boss entering the room, "Well, Savannah was a waste of gas. Minus a few blood bags, the house you told us about was empty."

The vampire scoffs, "Weird. Must have smelled you coming." Danger.

"Hmm. Would have been a total bust, except I happened upon a girl that fit the description that you gave me. That was near Whitmore, five hundred miles from where you said she was going to be." Tripp pulls out a cell phone and shows the twenty-two-year-old a photo of a familiar girl, "Is this Ivy?"

"That's the one."

"So, I'll give you today to conjure up the location of your vampire friends, or you and I are going to go sight-seeing in Mystic Falls." The captor walks out of the room, and Isaac glares as a warning up at Matt as he turns away and follows the self-proclaimed hunter out, closing the heavy door behind him.

****

Whitmore College, Professor Saltzman's Office