28

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
28 Published 03.23.2020

••

JAMES

"Baby," I say once she answers the phone.

"Yeah?" At the sound of her voice, I sigh in relief.

And a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

She's here.

The sound of her voice was proof that she was here and for the first time in two days, I was able to let my guard down. 

"I texted you so many times," I tell her.

"I know." She replies.

"Why didn't you answer my phone calls?" I ask.

"I was sick." I raise an eyebrow at that.

"Again?" 

"Mhm."

Lies.

She's lying to me. 

"Okay, let's say you were. But there's something you're not telling me."

"I'm fi-" Already knowing what she is going to say, I cut her off.

She can't be fine when she was crying her heart out.

She can't be fine when I heard the way she called herself worthless. Her voice held so much hatred, so much sadness, and that word happened to be directed to her. 

So I refuse to believe that  "she's fine" as she says she is.

I just can't.

Sitting back down on the couch, I hold my face with one hand, while I hold the phone with the other. "Don't lie to me, not now. Not after leaving me worried for you." I beg.

Because if I didn't beg, would she say anything to me?

I hear her sigh but she doesn't say anything.

I'm about to ask her what's wrong until a thought crosses my mind.

"James." 

"Huh?" Her voice changes in confusion.

"That's my name." I say again and her breath hitches

"James," She says slowly and I find myself closing my eyes at the way she says it.

It sounded so foreign coming from her lips. But I enjoyed the way she said it so much that I wanted to hear her say my name once more.

"Yeah, that's me." I remove the hand from my face and lean against the couch.

"I didn't think of that," She hums.

I want to keep talking about it, but there are other matters at hand.

Running a hand through my wavy hair, I get to the point. "Listen, I know that we are strangers and that we have only been talking to each other for a month, but to me that month was enough to grow fond of you. So when I called you two days ago, and I heard you crying that was enough to make me worry about you. But hanging up on me like that, leaving me worried sick for two whole days, is just cruel." I take a deep breath before continuing.