77

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
77 Published 07.29.2020

•••

ROSEANNE

Turning to my side, I let out a small groan. My eyelids feel so heavy against my eyes, but I force myself to wake up. The moment my eyes flutter open, they come in contact with the darkness of my room. A darkness I have grown very familiar with.

Sitting up on the bed, the warm quilt over me falls down from my chest, revealing my clothed torso. Blinking away, I try to make out my surroundings. Everything was fuzzy right now, my eyes slowly growing accustomed to the outlines in the dark.

Darting my eyes to the window, I see nothing but the moon's glow that sips from the small gap of the closed curtains. It's light casts a glow in my room, letting me see a part of my room.

Sighting, I look away from the light and pat the sides of my bed, searching for my phone, but it's useless.

Turning to the side, I reach down to the nightstand beside me and open the top drawer. There are a few notebooks inside, but I happen to see the shimmering of a round thing. Picking it up, I shut the drawer and turn the lamp on.

I have to squint for a second as my eyes grow accustomed to the sudden light, but after a while the numbers on the watch grow clear.

11:24 p.m.

My brows furrow as the watch hands signal the time.

How long was I asleep?

I recall waking up from my sleep a few times, but the last thing I remember before drifting into a deep sleep is my mom and my brother. They were still with me.

Looking away from the watch in my hand, I place it on the nightstand.

Closing my eyes, I shove my face in my hands.

I feel exhausted.

My head felt like it had suffered great damage, but I could no longer feel the agonizing pounding from earlier.

Groaning out loud, I pull away from my hands and raise a hand to my cheek, touching the tears that had dried on my skin.

I recall wiping my face with the back of my hand, but it had been no use. The tears kept coming, wetting my cheeks until I could no longer cry anymore.

Pressing my back on the headboard, I let out a breath of air.

Is he okay?

I left before I could hear anything more from him. But I couldn't help but worry about him.

A knock on my door brings me out of my thoughts and I look towards the door. Instead of saying something, I stay quiet and wait for whoever is outside to come in. After a few seconds of silence, the door slowly opens, revealing his familiar face.

I remain immobile in my spot, simply staring at him.

"Rose," He whispers, his eyes traveling through my room before landing on me.

"Hi, Nate." I manage to say, my throat feeling sore. I try to smile at him, but it's no use. After seeing me cry, he would see straight through my smiles. He wouldn't be deceived so easily, not right now.

My brother stares at me for a second before closing the door behind him and walking towards me. His steps soft quiet and hesitant. Almost as if he were afraid to approach me.

"Rose." He calls out, this time his voice is a delicate soft, a hint of tenderness in it.

Closing my eyes, I lick my dry lips "Yeah?" I say quietly.