37

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
37 Published 04.05.2020

•••

ROSEANNE

Walking on the crosswalk, Nathan and I eat our ice cream.

He texted me earlier in school, telling me that he wanted me to head to an ice cream parlor as soon as schools ended. 

So I was still wearing my uniform. 

Unlike him, who was dressed in workout clothes.

Because of his training, he arrived later than I did, but it was worth the wait because he was next to me right now.

And I was enjoying every second of it.

Despite the voices in my head, I was eating my ice cream. 

I refused to let the voices ruin my time with my brother. 

Not right now.

If they wanted to overpower me, I wouldn't let them do it with my brother next to me.

I couldn't let my brother see me at my worse.

I just couldn't do that to him.

"Do you like it?" My brother nods to the ice cream in my hand.

"Yeah," I smile. "Thank you." 

"It's fine." He nudges my arm. "It's been a while since we ate ice cream together." He says.

It's been a while since I ate ice cream at all.

"I know," I answer sadly.

"Don't be sad. I told you, you're going to get better. I will help you. And if it comes to it, mom and dad will help you."

I say nothing and he simply puts a hand on my shoulder in a comforting way.

After that, we don't say anything else. We simply continue walking until eventually, we arrive at a park.

I grab Nathan and walk towards the nearest bench. 

"Let's sit," I say as we stand in front of the bench.

Taking a seat first, I pat the space next to me. 

As Nathan sits down, I cross my ankles and take a deep breath in content.

I glance around the park and smile at the squirrel climbing a tree.

As I stare into nature, a thought crosses my mind.

"Hey, Nathan, are you really okay with me hanging out with you and the lads?" I wait for him to answer.

"Rose," He turns to me. "Why wouldn't I be?" 

"I don't know," I mumble. "They are your friends."

Nathan chuckles before answering. "I'm happy that you decided to hang out with them one day. And for the record, they want to be your friend. That's why they are trying to get close to you."