61

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
61 Published 05.12.2020

•••

ROSEANNE

Shutting the door behind me, I lean against it and close my eyes, my chest rising as I attempt to calm my racing heart from even the mention of his name.

Everything felt surreal.

Any thoughts I had of him being a figment of my imagination vanished into thin air the moment I came in contact with those eyes of his.

He's real.

I saw him, I felt the strange feeling in my stomach the moment our eyes locked. 

It was the same feeling I get every time I hear his voice.

There was no way it could have been a lie.

I hugged him.

At the thought of hugging him, my mind drifts to the way his arms felt around me.

I felt safe in his arms... but there was something else.

A feeling that I can't quite explain.

And it worried me because it seems that feeling, that emotion, what I feel for him seems to be growing by the second.

Whatever this feeling was, I feared it.

It was unknown to me and I fear that it would end up hurting James and me.

"Rose?" I open my eyes to see Nathan standing a few feet away from me, taking a bite out of an apple. "You okay?" He squints at me, strands of hair falling over his forehead 

"Yeah," I send him a quick smile. "I am."

"You sure?" He walks closer to me and motions to his face. "You look a little... red."

My mouth falls agape at his words and I find myself unable to form a proper sentence.

"I was, umm," I fiddle with my hands in embarrassment. "I have to go do homework." I blurt out and remove my back from the wall.

"But it's Friday..." Nathan trails off with a frown of his face, but I don't get to say much as I dart past him, his words still hanging in the air as he stares at me in confusion.

Racing to my room, I don't stop until I'm finally inside.

Closing the door behind, I place a palm over my chest and take a deep breath.

This is so embarrassing. I mumble to myself.

Walking towards my bed, I take a seat on the edge and let my back fall on the bed.

As my eyes close, my mind drifts to one boy in particular.

James.

At the simple thought of his name, I feel my heartbeat quicken.

His image seemed to have become engraved in my mind. I could remember everything about today. 

The way his emerald eyes seemed to twinkle with happiness.