73

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
73 Published 07.19.2020

•••

ROSEANNE

Plopping down on the living room's couch, I shut my eyes and place a hand over my stomach.

I had eaten again.

I was doing so well only eating small meals when I did have to eat, but James ended up getting me a big meal.

There was no way I could have said no to him, not after feeling so low on energy. He would have questioned it.

And I did not need James to know the truth. He couldn't know.

Removing the hand from my stomach, I turn to the side and bring a pillow to my chest, hugging it in the process.

I had to find another way to lose weight. I wasn't satisfied with my weight. It had only been a few days since those girls at the mall said something to me, but I hadn't lost much weight since then.

And I couldn't stop thinking about their words.

The voices in my head kept taunting me every time I looked at the mirror, reminding me that I was nowhere near looking like them.

That I would never be able to look like them.

Letting out a sigh, I feel myself doze off slowly. My mind no longer preoccupied as I think about a certain green-eyed boy.

I'm not sure how much time passed as I stayed on the couch, but the sudden sound of my mother's voice startles me awake.

Raising my head from the pillow, I blow away the strands of hair that fell over my face.

"Roseanne, honey, are you eating?" Turning my head to the direction of her voice, my eyes land on the woman dressed in her usual elegant attire. Her hair is up in a ponytail, swinging to the side as she walks in my direction.

"Mom," I smile as soon as she stands in front of the couch. Putting the pillow aside, I sit properly as my mom takes the spot next to me.

"Hi, honey. Did you have fun?" She places a kiss on my head and I wrap my arms around her torso.

"I did," I hum, placing my cheek on top shoulder, the silk of her blouse coming in contact with my skin. I could smell one of her perfumes and I let myself enjoy her presence, hugging her tighter in the process. "Are you not working late today?" My voice is muffled because of her shoulder, but I know she understood me.

"No, not today, honey. Your dad is here too." She runs her fingers through my hair, and I let out a sigh. It felt just like when I was little, when mom used to run her fingers through my hair until I fell asleep.

I missed those days.

They were the ones where I didn't have to worry about nothing.

"I miss you guys." I mumble into her shoulder. They have been so busy this past month that seeing them had become a little hard.

"We do too, Rose." Mom pats my back softly. Raising my head from her shoulder I pull away from her embrace.

Picking up my hand from my lap, she places her palm over my hand. "How was your day?"

With a smile on my face, I answer. "It was nice."

At my answer, mom's lip form into a playful grin. "How is that friend of yours?"

Looking away from her, I can't help but smile at the thought of James.

She didn't know it was a boy, but it was time I told her who is responsible for my smiles.