Something There

Your struggles to force a friendship with Peter became less and less difficult overtime.

Over the course of the next three weeks, your friendship grew by a mile.

You found yourself consistently spending most of your school time with him.

And quite frankly, you felt that it was very genuine.

"Y/N?" you heard a voice call.

"Mhm?" you muffled, redirecting your attention to back to what were doing.

You, Peter and Ned were sitting at the cafeteria table, watching Liz sit at a farther table.

"We were talking about Peter's chances of scoring a date with Liz, a senior — who is way out of his league," Ned responded, putting emphasis on those last few phrases.

"Dude . . . " Peter muttered.

You perked your head up, looking over at Liz, then over to Peter again.

"Hmm." You repeat the process of looking back between them and you actually began to observe all of Peter's features.

"I'd say Peter could have a pretty good chance with her, if he really wanted to shoot his shot." you said, taking a sip of milk from your milk carton and setting it down.

"Thank you, Y/N." Peter replied, looking to Ned for a response.

"Wow, you're both in over your heads. There's no way. Liz is probably the most popular girl at this school. Why would she ever go for Peter?" Ned asked bluntly and naively.

"Hey, c'mon now. Pete's got plenty of admirable and attractive qualities that Liz would be lucky to get to date." you responded, playfully squishing Peter's cheeks together as you said that.

"Name a few," Ned tested.

"Alright," you began, completely facing Peter.

Peter suddenly became all self-conscious and timid while waiting for your response.

You sat there attentively, observing Peter's face for a about a minute before beginning.

"Peter's got a very nice facial structure. Ladies love a boy with a jawline." you said, tracing it out on his face attentively.

Peter's cheeks began to tint pink, but you didn't notice.

"Peter's also got some nice, fluffy hair. Chicks love playing with the hair." you said, continuing to look at him.

"Oh, and Peter has soft, brown eyes that just tell you right away that he's caring, sweet, selfless and has a good heart." you finished, staring intently at his eyes.

Still not noticing the increasing saturation of pink on Peter's cheeks.

You turned back to Ned with a raised eyebrow.

"Wow, Y/N." Ned clapped slowly.

You mini-bowed for your performance.

"I think we know one thing that's safe to say," Ned began.

You cockily took a long sip of your milk, waiting for Ned to shower you with praise on your observation skills.

"Forget Liz, why don't you date Y/N, Peter?" Ned blurted out.

You choked on your drink as those words left Ned's mouth, as you began to spatter-cough your milk.

"I- uh, wha-ahah... hmm, that's umm... that-" Peter began, stuttering, honestly not knowing what to say, still stuck in his flustered mood.

"I-" you coughed out, "Still have... a... boyfriend back home." you managed to cough out before you regained your breathing back.

"Yeah! Yeah! Y/N has a boyfriend," Peter replied quickly, trying to back you up.

Okay, ouch. That was a quick turnaround, like he was so against the idea of dating me.

"Ah, that's right. I forgot." Ned finished, shrugging his shoulders.

"Alright, anyways . . . " you began.

"I have a date. In a bit, anyways." you continued, putting on your backpack and picking up your tray.

"You do?" Peter asked, confused.

"French rest at 1." you winked at both of them, "See you nerds later." you said, walking off to class.

Peter and Ned both watched you walk away.

Peter a bit longer and Ned directing his attending to Peter.

"You okay, dude?" he asked his best friend.

"Yeah man, I just, uh, never thought Y/N thought those things." Peter said, finally turning back to the table.

"Yeah, she's such a good friend, hyping you up like that. Who knows? Maybe you really could get with Liz." Ned finished.

"Liz," Peter mumbled, before spinning around to look for her.

Liz wasn't there anymore.

Eventually, lunch had ended, so, Peter and Ned walked off to their class.

Peter silently thought to himself about the randomness thing that he just experienced.

You had quickly grown to be a really good friend to Peter and granted, you were attractive. Peter was just always so set on Liz, that he never really thought of you in that way.

"You know, it's pretty cool that Y/N and her boyfriend can do long-distance, don't you think?" Ned chimed.

Ah. Boyfriend. That word. The word that completely disciplined and shutdown Peter's new thought.

"Yeah, pretty cool." Peter responded.

And after that, the thought of you in that way, wouldn't be seen for a while.