More Than Lab Partners

You made her way back to her place that night, ready to call it a day and ask your boyfriend to FaceTime.

You entered your bedroom after finishing up getting ready for bed.

"FaceTime?" you texted Alex.

A few seconds later, he responded, "Sure thing, baby. I'm just finishing up a few games and then I'll call you."

You smiled at your phone, excited to talk to yourboyfriend.

You hopped into bed and laid there on your phone, waiting for Alex.

You scrolled through social media, like younalways did before bed and all of a sudden stopped.

Unidentified Man-Spider Helps Save Local Shopkeeper From Robbery!

You clicked on the Twitter link and was brought to an article post and video footage of where you were a few hours ago.

Shit.

You watched the video carefully, trying to make sure that the frame of the video remained focused on Peter and not anywhere near you.

Thankfully, it was a Twitter video, so it didn't last that long.

You finished watching it and sighed in relief.

But, all of a sudden, your phone began to buzz.

"Shit!" you exclaimed, as you accidentally threw your phone up, now trying to catch it and not let it drop.

You dropped it under your bed and pulled it up from under there.

You were excitedly eager to answer, ready to talk to Alex, but you saw that the caller ID was unknown.

Damn it, Tony.

"Hello?" you answered.

"Talk to me about what happened tonight." you heard Tony begin.

Not even a greeting or anything. Thanks, Tony. Love you too.

"I spent the entire day with Parker, we were at his Aunt May's apartment, working on a project for school and-"

"About the robbery, Y/N. Not your date with him." Tony interrupted.

You were taken aback by the word usage and how Tony referred to it as a date.

"I'm getting to that and don't call it a date, I have a boyfriend." you responded, low key like one of those I have a boyfriend girls.

"Anyways, eventually we were sitting on the roof, just talking and as soon as we heard the sirens, he became extremely eager for me to leave and so I did, but I saw him go inside, crawl out of his window in his suit and I followed him to the robber. Mr. Stark, I watched the whole thing and he's pretty good. He could use some work and maybe a new suit, but he's not that bad."

"Great job, kid. Did you follow him back and see him get back home?" Tony asked.

"Yes, sir."

"Great. Keep doing what you're doing. I'll be arranging some sort of approach to reach out to him soon. In the meantime, continue to investigate. You'll need to learn more about your partner for your next assignment."

Wait. The fuck did he just say?

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, you said what now?" you questioned quickly.

"Alright, kid. You've got school tomorrow, get some rest." Tony said, before cutting you off and ending the call.

You sat there, shocked.

My partner? No, sir. I work alone. I'm sure whatever Stark needs me to do, I'm more capable to do alone.

You sat there for a second, thinking about your own thoughts and reconsidered your opinion. You and Peter have been lab partners for a month now and granted, the first few weeks of working together were quite the adjustment.You felt you and him were a potential, genuine friendship.

Your thoughts were interrupted by the ping of your phone.

You reached for it, more calmly this time and read the message from Alex.

"I lost the game and the entire tournament, not in a good mood right now."

You sighed and rolled your eyes. You hated it when he got like this, especially over a video game.

"I'm sorry, love. I'm sure you did your best. We can just FaceTime tomorrow." you responded.

"Okay. Goodnight. Love you." Alex texted back.

You sighed and typed out, "Goodnight. Love you too."

You closed out of your phone and laid in your bed. You decided to continue thinking about what Tony meant.

You tried to drifted off to sleep, but your thoughts and curiosity consumed you.

About three hours of you not being able to sleep passed it was now one o'clock after noon.

You were tired of not being able to stop thinking about it, so you decided to take a leap at easing your curiosity.

You pulled out your phone again and opened a chat with Peter.

"You up?" you texted.

You doubted Peter was still awake, unless he was finishing up the project.

A few seconds later, you heard your phone ping.

"Yup. Just finishing up the project. Why are you still up? You should rest." you read.

"Can't sleep. How's it looking?" you responded.

A few seconds later, you received a selfie of Peter with the poster board.

You smiled, twiddling your thumbs to think of a way to respond.

"Pete, you look exhausted. Why don't you get some rest, maybe just wake up early and finish it up?"

"It's alright. I've been up anyways, so I might as well finish it." you cocked an eyebrow at Peter's response.

"Why are you up besides the project?" you questioned, knowing the answer already.

You saw him type multiple times, then stop, then type again. Knowing, Peter was trying to think of something to say.

You decided to cut him off, "OMG, did you see the thing on Twitter about the superhero guy that stopped the robbery?"

"That was just here and we saw the police cars,right before it happened!" you faked, wanting to see Peter's response.

"Yeah, I heard about it. That's crazy." Peter said, trying to keep his response short.

"Alright, Y/N. I think I'm gonna take up your recommendation and wake up early to finish the project. See ya tomorrow, partner!" Peter cut off.

Partner, oof. I'm back to where I started. Trying to figure out what Tony is up to. Thanks Pete.