Things Aren't Always What They Seem

You felt your phone vibrate.

Before you had the chance to respond to Peter, you grabbed your phone out of your pocket.

"Hang on, just one second." you said quickly, soon noticing that the caller ID was unknown.

Shit. Not now. He's right there and if I answer it, he's going to know.

You had sparked with panic, looking to Peter with a smile.

"Um, can you uh, give me a second?" you asked innocently.

Peter nodded, gesturing for you to answer it.

You smiled and took a few steps in the other direction, slowly.

You shut your eyes and scrunched up your face.

"Heyyy, Mom!" you began, trying to make it sound believable.

Oh, God. Tony is going to think I've gone mad.

"Kid? It's Happy, not your mom." you heard Happy respond.

Oh, thank God, it's just Happy.

"Sorry, Mom. I'm kind of in the middle of something, with someone right now and I can't really talk." you responded, teeth clenched, as you spoke.

"Kid, again this isn't your Mom." Happy repeated, clearly not getting the hint.

You pinched the bridge of your nose.

"Look, Mom. I'm really busy right now, okay? I'll call you back." you said, before you ended the phone call.

You quickly pulled up Happy's phone number and texted him.

"With Parker right now, can't talk."

You hit send, hoping Happy wouldn't kill you.

You turned back to Peter with a smile.

"Um, where were we?" you asked, clapping your hands together.

"Oh, I, u-um... I was just..." Peter stuttered, losing all motivation and confidence to continue his plan.

"...On my way out... duty calls." Peter continued, taking a few steps backwards.

You cocked an eyebrow, "Are you sure? Didn't you want to ask me something?" taking a few steps towards him.

"No!" Peter exclaimed, realising that he raised is voice, "Um, it's okay. Maybe next time." he ended, shooting a web out into the distance and before you knew it, he finished from the rooftop.

You felt the feeling of confusion and frustration build up in you once again.

You didn't understand why, but Peter's presence recalled soothed your anxiety, about, well, Peter.

You felt tears well up in your eyes, but you quickly wiped them away, realising that Peter still might be close.

You headed for the entrance of the inside of your building, remembering that Happy was awaiting your call.

Meanwhile, Peter had found himself in the alleyway, near his apartment complex.

He didn't go through with his plan, he should've felt defeated for prolonging the inevitable rejection.

But he wasn't.

Peter was more focused and curious on another thing.

"Hey, suit lady!" he began.

"Yes, Peter?" a female voice coming through his suit responded.

"Is... is there a way I could hear into Y/N's conversation on the phone?" Peter questioned, feeling somewhat guilty for trying to eavesdrop on your phone conversation. He had a hunch that by the way you were acting, you weren't talking to your mom.

It was probably Alex... Now he's probably going to get mad at her and they're going to fight again...

"Of course. I can replay the audio that has been recorded twenty minutes ago and enhance the audio quality." the voice in his suit responded.

A playback of your conversation bean, but this time, with the reciprocating line as well.

"Sorry, Mom. I'm kind of in the middle of something, with someone right now and I can't really talk." your voice began.

"Kid, again, this isn't your mom." a voice repeated.

Peter's heart sank.

"Look, Mom. I'm really busy right now, okay? I'll call you back."

The call ended.

The replay only played the last part of your short conversation.

"Suit lady," Peter began,

"Yes, Peter?" she responded.

"That wasn't Y/N's mom... or Alex..."