My Life as a Cat - Prolouge

I don't know why I made that wish. I mean, I wasn't a teenager with abusive parents. I didn't come from a troublesome home or get into the wrong crowd at school. I was a straight A student, with lots of friends, and supporting parents. I had lots of 'gizmos and gadgets,' nice clothes, and pets.

Speaking of pets, I have one particular one that I was always jealous of. My fat cat, Dexter.

Well, he wasn't always fat.

In fact, he used to be extremely skinny. And I have this very strong feeling that it was because we found him out in the middle of a snowstorm. He was sitting on the side of our gravel road, curled up in a ball, preparing to die. Luckily, we were on our way home when we spotted him.

Ever since that, we've been packing the pounds on him, not wanting him to have any reminder of his skinny and lonely past. Well, of course, he always will have a constant reminder since he lost half his tail and part of his ear because he was so frozen when we found him.

But other than that, I would swap places with him in an instant. During the summer, he gets to lay around under the big trees that line our entire yard, or wander around catching the mice that threatened to get in the grain bins. Out on our farm, I'm pretty sure any cat would be in their living glory. During the winter, he chills inside, sometimes seeping out through the cat door to prance around in the fresh Alberta snow. He has no troubles, and all the space in the world to wander. He has kitty friends and an unlimited source of food and water. He has people that love and care for him.

Overall, he has no worries. He doesn't have to wear make-up, or dress him self in the latest trends. He doesn't have to text a million people or live up to the high expectation of the real world.

Although I try to be myself, it can be hard. As a sixteen year old, the pressure is a little bit to much for me. Even in a small school, with about 200 people from grades 4-12, the pressure is still intense. You have homework, friends, parental expectation, and boys. Although I really don't want a boyfriend, there's still the odd guy asking me out, just putting a little more pressure on my shoulders everyday.

Now, I know I'm definitely not hard done by. My life is pretty dang easy. And trust me, I've been to the slums of Mexico to help other people. That means I know how real people live. I know how hard real people work, and I know how little some people have, and yet they seem to appreciate life more than me.

So honestly, I have no idea why I made that wish.