Chapter 9: The Gauntlet

Knock Knock Knock!

For the second day in a row, Shoto was knocking at your door first thing in the morning. Many things have grown to annoy you since being brought into modern times like touch screen phones, being cold, ignorance, Enji but the one thing you hate most is when someone is knocking at your door. If you’re in your room, in which you don’t like being in there in the first place, that means one of a few things: You’re sleeping, getting dressed or you want nothing to do with anyone. Anybody could piece together you don’t want to be disturbed...

When Shoto’s knocking refused to cease, the echoes driving your head mad, your eye began to twitch. “What is it Shoto?” You growled from within your room as yet another textbook was shoved into your backpack with lack of care. Something didn’t feel right about it, the backpack you mean. Wasn’t it heavier yesterday than it was this morning? “That’s cause Aizawa forced me to keep that file…” Yet it’s not here anymore. Not a trace. That file’s thickness was that of a brick, now way you could have misplaced it. You could’ve sworn Shinsou returned it last night, or are you just imagining things? Imagining things for sure. You went right to bed after visiting Shoto’s Mom. Being tired is like the less loopy equivalent to being drunk, no wonder you can’t remember things clearly.

You completely forgot about Shoto as he shook the door by the handle, making a ruckus in the process. “Did he just try to enter my room without permission again? Thank god I locked it…” Probably one of your best decisions yet! Although imagining Shoto struggling got you to snicker. Such a goofy boy!

Shoto tried to open the door again but gave in as it refused to budge. Most people would have given up the first time and so should he. Shoto cleared his throat, pressing a hand to the face of the door after realizing his many many mistakes. “Aizawa said not to come to class today,” Shoto informed you. His body shifted to rest up against the wall.

You hummed trying to figure out why class isn’t planned for the day, “any particular reason why?” Sickness, Aizawa has a day off, school holiday? Nah don’t be silly, Aizawa doesn’t take days off.

“He said for us to get into our hero uniforms and meet him at the front of the school,” in which Shoto stood in his navy blue jumpsuit. He was fumbling around with one of the decorative metal pieces that dangled from the waistline of his uniform. It wasn’t uncommon for him to play with them as to entertain himself in any given moment.

That boy just made it sound like there was no class at all… “Again why?” You stood up from the floor. If there’s no sense in fighting your backpack then why bother. Not like you were gonna win that fight anyways.

“Class exercise… Field trip to some new off site training facility.”

“That’s all you had to say,” you sang and approached the door. You turned the knob from your side, automatically unlocking it, and faced your boyfriend in uniform. You’ve seen him wear it one other time, that time being when you were rescued from that icy prison. Shoto really is your hero and you wish he could wear it everyday if possible. Except, why does Shoto smell like a wet dog and maybe cigarettes? “I was gonna gonna kiss you but when was the last time you showered?”

Shoto tilted his head curiously like a dog, man that was adorable. “Last night.”

Then what smells so god awful? Unless, dare you look at him at a closer scale. Under closer examination, you could confirm that the musky odors had to come from his uniform. It’s seen a good deal of wear as it was stained to hell and back. You almost didn’t notice as the dark navy to his uniform worked like magic to his imperfections. The smell Shoto was carrying around was oddly familiar to you in particular. Musk, earth, vegetation… Is he covered in lake water? That just says how long its been since he’s last done some laundry. “When was the last time you washed that thing? You smell like a wet dog who enjoys rolling around in ashes...”