Chapter 22: Home

Oh how it was such a warm and shining day. A day for change, for growth. It was finally the time for Hideyoshi Shinsou, formerly known as Shun Renora, to check out of the hospital. Although his wounds were still considered great, so much so that he can't even wear all of his prosthetics as of this point in time; It took a great amount of time and therapy to train his new set of lungs for the day they could work without aid. Many would think, thanks to his situation, Hide can't go home but he has to go somewhere right? It came as a surprise to everyone, especially Hide himself, once Mr. Aizawa and Principal Nezu offered the boy a place at UA. Not just a place to call home, but as a school to attend. Hide's mentor is now his teacher AND he's sharing a classroom with his friend, sister and 'brother' Hitoshi. Yeah, Shun's still heavily adjusting from going by Shun to Hide but it's a work in progress. It's like his dream was coming true one step at a time even though... Even though the only way he got here was by hurting everyone he loved along the way.

"We're here!" All Might exclaimed as he escorted the purple haired boy from the hospital, a long car ride, and a leisurely walk all the way up to class 1. A.'s Dormitory. Although Hide's been here a thousand times before, this time wasn't like all the others. He didn't trudge all the way across the city to share a few hugs and laughs with his sister, spend quality time with a friend or train until he's sweating bullets. This time, the roughed up teenager came here without any intention of leaving. His name engraved on a door, a bed made just for him, Hide could safely say that he was here to stay.

All Might, a man who's seen more than a million expressions from the lives he's saved over the course of his career, could feel placidity radiate from Hide's crimson orbs for he couldn't peel them from the building. The elder, of whom wasn't familiar with Hide on any personal level, understood exactly how he must feel on so many levels. He daringly tapped Hide on the shoulder with a slender hand. Flinching, the violet haired male hissed in response. Despite how many layers of bandages encapsulated his wounds, just the slightest amount of pressure was like a knife being penetrated through himself again. Yet somehow, they both knew it wasn't something to fret for too long. "How does it feel, young man?" All Might had begun to scratch at the back of his neck awkwardly thanks to his mistake. "All those dreams of yours coming true!" his voice boasted out with delight.

The biggest surprise of all came when All Might heard a little chuckle flee from Hide's lips. "Just like you said..." Their gazes met. "It really is a dream come true. Not as much as meeting an idol you though." And I thought meeting Mr. Aizawa for the first time was a big deal! I'd be shitting bricks right now if I could!

"Ha ha! I never really hear that anymore! Much appreciated young Hide!" Well... That's what retirement does All Might.

"It feels sort of wrong though..." Hide's gaze returned to the ground. Like a heavy fog, it sat low within his stomach without any signs of moving on.

"What does?" All Might hummed. "Most kids your age would kill to be where you're at."

That's the exact problem here. "There's a target on my family and... I'm given the royal treatment?" The question struck the elder somewhere else, somewhere deep. If words could cut, these could. "As much as I've worked and dreamt of going here... I can't help but feel I don't belong," and he can't even bring up how he's the reason everything's being doused in flames. Or... Would All Might actually be the perfect person to talk to about this sort of thing? He's fought villains of all kinds, maybe even the ones he's actually regret putting behind bars. Hide's talked about this with Midoriya a million times but it's not helping all that much.

All Might somewhat understood where Hide was coming from, "I've seen you work alongside your peers. I also know just how highly Aizawa, Nezu, (Y/n) and Young Midoriya speak of you, you belong here more than you think."