Chapter 20: Awakening

Midoriya

After being gone for more than a week for an attempted murder investigation, Shoto was already exhausted beyond belief and wanted nothing more than to get comfortable back at home in the dormitory. Just being in school was enough to put his nerves at ease. It was oh so unfortunate once his friends warned him of how his best friend, Midoriya, was missing out from school due to injury. Injury... Considering Midoriya's track record, being excused from school because of an injury wasn't in the least bit surprising. However, taking into consideration all of the events that happened lately being his newest friend was hospitalized, Shoto made his point abundantly clear that he needed to know what happened to Midoriya while the two of them were gone investigating over the last week. Shoto was terrified beyond his wits that his friend pulled an Iida as some like to call it. The details were vague, but Shoto gladly explained to (Y/n) that Iida went out and tried to murder a villain who previously forced his Pro Hero brother into an early retirement. Such a plot doesn't sound all that far-fetched coming from Midoriya depending on how you go about it...

One long school day later, (Y/n), Shoto and Hitoshi were met with the reality that everyone was correct: Midoriya was up and about without a scratch or scar. As if nothing was wrong at all.

Actually, the group couldn't exactly make such an assumption just yet. They just entered the dorms and Midoriya was waiting around just for them. "Hey Todoroki! Hey (Y/n)!" The bushy haired wonder greeted the couple with a beaming energy as they passed through the dormitory lounge. Another glance over his body, they could safely say there's nothing 'wrong' with him. Midoriya's previous scars were the same in number and still as large as they were before. "How's the investigation going? Shinsou sort of left out of the blue after you guys... Are you all working together? Anything I can help with?" Wow, the energy coming off this boy was almost sickening. Guess his curiosity makes sense though given he's practically Shun's best friend on the hero side.

(Y/n) slightly puffed out her cheeks. "My entire family's in danger now. Basically um... Shun has to either die or play dead or else more people are in danger cause the League of Villains and all this other crap," the investigation really took it out of (Y/n). She wants to call up her dad and tell him everything that's going on and how his son is on his deathbed but nope... That's actually the worst thing she could do at a time like this. She can't even go to her father about anything, period. Imagine being unable to turn to your loved ones. Imagine being the father in all this... He's going day by day blind as he has no clue how his children are doing.

Midoriya's orbs enlarged at her claim. "Is that what's going on? I've never seen you this upset."

"Yeah well," (Y/n) lightly embraced Shoto's arm. She's been clinging to Shoto more as of lately. He's always there for her and she couldn't be more thankful. "Midoriya... Put yourself in my shoes. I'm losing my brother and my family so..."

"Actually," Midoriya rubbed his arm with a light dust of pink to his freckled cheeks. "Shun's actually recovering really fast! The doctors thought he wasn't gonna live past the first day!"

(Y/n) didn't even react, but Shoto was genuinely moved. Even he had to side with the doctors. He's never seen someone lose as much blood as he had and lived to tell the tale. The crimson that made up his girlfriend's brother's body stained his skin, his clothes and left him mentally scarred up until now. "He was practically dead the last I saw him," Shoto still couldn't believe what Midoriya had to say. "Those injuries were fatal... They take weeks or even months to recover from. It's been a week... How?" The whole world was against him... Really, how?

"Um..." Midoriya's scarred fingers fiddled with the hem of his loosely fitted olive shirt. "Just between us," the boy took hold of his shirt's hem and lifted up with care. There was a long string of stitches running along one side of his ribcage. The skin was red, purple ink remained where the doctors marked for incisions. "I donated just enough of my lung to help him along. Just enough that I shouldn't be affected at all! Recovery girl stepped in too! He still has a long way to go but Shun isn't on his deathbed anymore!" Recovery Girl's quirk really could make wonders and defy the inevitable. Without her, Shun would be six feet under right about now.