Chapter 1

"Becca," he yelled up the stairs.
"Hold on a minute," she sighed.

She carried her two year old down the stairs. He smiled when he saw the little girl. His niece, Chloe, reached for him. It had been a wild ride lately but his sister was staying with him. Rebecca Jolene Mathers was only 10 months younger than Nathan. It had been a whirlwind when she was born, but Marshall loved his baby sister. She was staying with him now because her daughter's father had just gone to prison for murder. He had no idea how she had gotten caught up with that other than he wasn't there to stop it. He hadn't looked into the case too hard or had anyone from his staff look just because Becca asked him not to. She would tell him when she was ready.

"Remind me why I agreed to go," she laughed.
"Because I am your big brother and I said so," he replied.
"You are so annoying."

He laughed. She wasn't in the mood for sweet holiday get-togethers at Nathan's house. Marshall took Chloe from her arms and walked out to the car. Rebecca was expecting her second baby any day now. They headed out of the house. Marshall set Chloe in her car seat and buckled her in. Rebecca got in the passenger seat.

"Marshall, you know Nate and I haven't spoken since I started dating Jesse, like 4 years ago," she said.
"Which is exactly why you are going today," he replied, getting in the driver's seat.
"You think you can force us back together?"
"No, you are siblings. You two were hella close. This not talking over a dude is bullshit. Besides, Jesse is gone. For life."

Rebecca teared up for a moment. Her older brother looked at her and sighed.

"I ain't mean to make you cry Becs. It's just some truth," he said.
"I know. It all just sucks. Chloe will never know her father and neither will this little man," she whispered.
"But he can know both his uncles."

Rebecca nodded. She was completely unsure of how Nate would take her just showing up with Marshall. She was nervous to see her brother.

"He will be fine," Marshall said sensing her anxiety.

He pulled up to Nathan's house about 15 minutes later. He looked at Rebecca as she stared at the door.

"Come on, I got Chloe," he said.
"This isn't a good idea," she said softly.
"Becca, he is still your brother."
"Marshall, you don't know the half of what happened between us though,"
"Because you won't tell me."
"I can't."

He sighed but got out of the car. He took his niece from the back. Rebecca slowly followed him inside. Nathan stopped dead when he saw her and his face clouded over.

"The fuck is she doing here?" he demanded.
"Nathan, she is our little sister. She is back home with me," Marshall said calmly.
"She ain't welcome here."
"Nathan."
"Nah bro, you got no idea what this trick did to my family."
"Then someone needs to explain it."
"No, just get her out of my house."

Rebecca remained quiet. She stared at the floor. It wasn't Rebecca that had stolen from Nathan. It was one of Jesse's stupid friends.

"Nathan, it's Christmas dawg," Marshall said, shifting Chloe.
"I don't care. I want her gone," the younger man growled.

Rebecca turned and walked out of the house. She sat in Marshall's car, tears rolling down her face. Marshall came out of the house and put Chloe in the car. He drove them home, silently stewing over his younger brother's behavior. A therapist had told him a few weeks ago that Rebecca was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. He just had to find a way to get it thru to Nate what their little sister had gone thru with Jesse.

Rebecca was silent as the tears rolled down her face. She leaned her head back against the seat.

"I'm sorry," he said.

She shook her head. He sighed. He pulled back up to his house. Hailie called him later to find out where he was.

"I am at home with Aunt Becca and her daughter Chloe," he said.
"Oh, I will be over soon," she replied.
"All right baby."
"Wait, why didn't y'all just come here?"
"Uncle Nate doesn't want Becca there. I brought them back here. She is staying with me until she gets back on her feet."

He hung up when he heard Rebecca scream from the guest room. She had gone to take a nap when they got back.

"Becs, talk to me," he said.
"It was all so real," she sniffed.
"What?"
"The blood."
"Becca what the fuck did he do to you?"

She shook her head and buried her face in his chest. He sighed heavily.

"Becca, you have to tell me what happened?" he said.
"I know it's a good thing that he is locked up for the rest of his life, but I miss him." she whispered.
"Nah, that's the abuse talking."
"Abuse?" they both heard from the door.

Marshall looked over. Nate stood in the doorway. Rebecca glanced at her big brother with tears in her eyes.

"The three of us need to talk," Marshall said.

Nathan nodded. He stepped in the door and closed it behind him. He didn't move any closer to the two on the bed.

"Jesse has been beating on Becca for the last four years," Marshall said.
"Longer than that." Rebecca opened up.
"Why the hell would you let that go on?" Nathan asked.
"Where the hell was I gonna go Nate? You hate me, Marshall was dealing with his own shit. I had no one. Until I had Chloe anyway."

Nathan looked at the floor. He felt bad that his sister felt she couldn't come to him about it. He had been so angry when he discovered people were stealing stuff from him. He had told her that he never wanted to see her again.