eleven

________________________________

BACK DOWN ON EARTH, THE AVENGERS GATHERED ON THE TOP FLOOR of Stark Tower. Nick had grown impatient with the success of retrieving Alex from Loki, and the Avengers had grown weary. 

"Just explain your plan." Nick sighed. 

"Alright. Loki wants the scepter back, right? Let's give it to him." Tony clasps his hands together. 

"I'm sorry, what?" Nat gaped. 

"Run that back." Clint said. 

"Stark, have you gone insane?" Nick exclaimed. 

"You all have no faith in me, I swear. We'll fake it. I'll create a holographic, life-like scepter, and lure him down here. Once he's here, we'll trap him."

"How are we going to do that?" Steve chimed in. 

"We've done it once, we can do it again. We just need all hands on deck."

"I don't know about this, Tony." Steve said. 

"Trust me guys. We're going to need to trick the trickster." Tony smirked. 

"If we can pull this off, we'll have Loki in our clutches again. But, how are you going to retrieve the girl? There's no chance he'll bring her with him." Thor asked. 

"Thor, are you sure there's no other way to get into Asgard besides the Bifrost?" Nat asked. 

"I know no alternative route. My brother, however, does."

"That does us no good." Nick sighed. 

"If I could figure out how he managed to compromise Heimdall, I could get us up there. But there truly is no way to contact him if he isn't stationed at Bifrost." 

"There is no doubt he is watching. He has been for a while, to know that Alex is important enough to us to be used as ransom. So, if he sees us with a supposed scepter, he'll contact you." Steve said to Thor. 

"We can only hope he will."

<>

Meanwhile in Asgard, Alex could barely sleep the entire night. All she could think about were her conflicting feelings toward Loki. On one hand, he was a mass murderer. Some would say a monster. 

On the other hand, he was dealt a difficult hand. She could already see that in him. But, does that excuse his actions? She was dealt a bad hand too, but she took that and used it to make herself into a good person. 

But, she thought, everyone is different. 

She sat up when she heard the door open. She expected a guard to walk in with her breakfast, as they normally did. She despised that she was beginning to establish a routine, which meant permanence. Permanence here in Asgard, trapped by the God of Mischief, with no hopes of freedom.