sixty-seven

___________________________

ALEX'S MIND RACED AS THEY MADE THEIR WAY BACK TO THE COMPOUND. SHE WAS FRUSTRATED THAT Loki persistently made appearances to her, but was now even more frustrated that she could barely focus on the task at hand. If there was one thing Loki was good at, it was invading her thoughts. 

Thank god he couldn't read her mind. 

"Something on your mind?" Thor's words startled her. 

"Hm? Oh, no. Just tired." 

"You act as if I do not know you." 

"It's been years." She tried. "I've changed. We all have. You especially."

"Easy." He warned. "Your essence hasn't change. You may be broken down a bit, but you're still the same girl that was kidnapped and brought to Asgard." 

She smiled slightly.  "Abs or not you're still the same Thor." 

"And I'll forever owe you a debt." 

"Why's that?"

"You changed my brother. No matter how much he betrayed the both of us in the end, you did reveal the light in him. I know him better than anyone, and I have never seen him love something like that, other than our mother."

She winced. Thor wasn't making her situation any better. Not that he knew what was going on, and she did consider telling him. But, she wanted to see how that was to unfold without involving anyone just yet. And, though she wouldn't admit it, she wanted to protect him. Tony would sure as hell decapitate Loki on sight, astral being or not. 

"Well, for what it's worth, he wasn't too bad. He ruined my life, but, he was alright." 

She instantly wondered if Loki was on the aircraft at the moment, silently listening to her conversations. As he astral projected, he really could just come and go as he pleased. She would make sure to be careful in the shower. 

As they approached the compound, Thor cracked open a beer. He began to chug it, most likely preparing himself for whatever was inside. Alex also contemplated drinking one, but hadn't had a drink in ages, so one might just send her over the edge. 

Inside, Rocket was working on the enormous structure that was now in the middle of the testing room. Alex and Thor walked in, accompanied by Tony. Alex left them to find Bruce, who was fitting Scott in his new suit. 

"Time travel suit, not bad." Rhodey commented. Nebula simply smirked. 

Alex laughed as Scott scolded Bruce for not being careful, then accidentally used up a vial of Pym particles. 

"I'm not ready for this." Scott confessed. 

"I'll do it," They heard, all turning to see Clint standing in the doorway. 

Suddenly, Clint was suited up and being debriefed by Bruce. 

"Wait, wait a second. Let me ask you something." Rhodey interjected. "If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos, you know, and.." 

They all watched him make a strangling gesture. 

"Jesus, Rhodey." Alex scoffed. 

"First of all, that's horrible." Bruce exclaimed. 

"It's Thanos." 

"And second, time doesn't work that way. Changing the past doesn't change the future."