sixty-six

________________________________

ALEX SAT ON THE PORCH THE NEXT DAY, CLUTCHING HER PHONE IN HER HAND. SHE HAD WRITTEN OUT A TEXT to Steve, and erased it every time she typed it out. Finally, she took a deep breath, and sent a message.

I'm in.

She let out the breath she was holding, and drummed her fingers on her knee. She almost jumped out of her chair when her phone vibrated.

Knew you'd come through. Meet us at the compound.

She giddily stood up, going to get her things. In the kitchen sat Tony, deep in thought. She didn't know if she should tell him that she was joining the rest of the team, and feared he'd be betrayed. Worried of this, she decided to keep it under wraps.

"Hey," He spoke. "Am I making the right decision?"

Shit. Should she tell him?

"I don't know, Tony. Only you can decide that."

"Yeah, I guess." He mumbled.

She left him sitting there, going to grab a backpack. She packed a change of clothes, not knowing if she'd be at the compound for a while.

She snuck out of the kitchen door, taking one last glance at Tony. He was vigorously writing something down, but he was always doing that. She got in her car, and raced to the compound.

Once she arrived, she walked in to find Steve, Natasha, and Scott all sitting.

"We knew you'd come around," Nat smiled.

"As crazy as you guys sounded, it just might work." Alex replied.

They chatted for a few minutes before a fifth person entered the room. Upon his entry, Alex almost spit out her energy drink.

"What the fuck?"

There stood Bruce, or, at least half of him. He sheepishly smiled, like he was excited to see her but ashamed she didn't know about it sooner.

"You could say some things have changed," He spoke.

"Uh, yeah, you're all...Hulky."

"Thank you."

"Any other changes I should know about before we get started?" Alex looked around the room. "No? Okay, let's do this."

They set up Scott's van in the middle of the testing room, where they had plenty of room in case it, you know, blew up. Bruce began to fiddle with the buttons on his makeshift control panel. Scott suited up, and walked over to the van. After little deliberation, he was decided the test subject.

"Okay, here we go. Time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the...uhhh, the van thing."

The doors to the van were opened, and the 'Quantum Tunnel' began to glow as it started up.